Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help me anyone.....today my engine started making funny rattling noises again....during first gear goin onto second, and while cruising in second around my development it sounds like something is bouncing around in there...last time this happened we took it to the garage and they said it was the crankshaft or the bearings....cost me about 500 bucks....dont wanna spend that much on it again....swap in a 6m??? or if it aint that problem what could it be???help!!!!!!!!!

charlie

·
Registered
733 Posts
Not trying to be a smatrass, but Dion Warwick would have a better chance of diagnosing this over the net. The shop that did the work should at least look at it again for nothing. If it is doing the same thing, I'd place my money on the same issue. But I am just as likely to be wrong.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm i thought it would be it again....sounds the same like last time....so does anyone have spare 85's around or better yet 6m's for decent price??? :lol:

·
Registered
517 Posts
He is right! If you have the kind of stong personality go back and demand them to have a look again. but if they are real jerks that dont want to deal with MK2's then stay away, dont go back cause all you will do is frustrait yourself and they could screw up somthing els... :wink:
By the way sorry about spelling!

Could it be your exaust manifold cover thats loose?
Or I would get a clanking sound every time I would drive up a steep mountain in 3rd gear with very low rpms. I would have to shift to 2nd.
is that the noise you get?? :?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just to clarify on this....that garage fixed that problem like last year, so it would be useless goin back....and no it doesnt sound like that....it sounds like its coming from inside the engine....and like i said before, you can hear it from first gear shifting at any rpm(2500rpm for example)to cruising in second and you would just hear that pinging sound goin at it....also this sound also takes place when i start up the motor in the morning, when the oil is low.

charlie

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Valve tap?

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
If its "pinging" try going to a higher octane gas and run some fuel injector cleaner in it or you could retard the timing. The pinging is probably caused by carbon buildup, and one of those "fuel injector cleaner services" shops have should do the trick. The other problem you could have could be rod knock (replacement time), bad lash adjusters, etc. If its is either of these the noise should pickup as the revs increase. HTH

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the car has always been running off of 93 octane gas....ok i put in more oil today and it stopped making the noise...but when the oil is low again it will make the same sound...and yes the noise rises as the revs increases...im starting to leak oil very bad, i mean very bad.

charlie

·
Registered
183 Posts
Same prob, I think

I think I got the same prob. It sounnds like only the 3rd cylinder. It goes away most of the time. But sometimes its real bad. But I am still not sure what it is. Its a little worrying.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I made the mistake of switching to synthetic oil, and started a real bad oil leak in my '86. I switched over to Castrol high mileage oil with a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer, and it virtually stopped all the leaks. Instead of a quart every time I fill the tank, it is 1/4 quart every three or four tanks.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont mind the oil leak as it will be fixed when i take the oil pan out to weld the oil drain line on....but it still is a pain when i have to refill it in 3-4 days....ne one else have ne ideas about my engine noise?

·
Registered
733 Posts
If it is making noise, sticking a turbo on it is probably not a good idea. If you have to pull the pan anyway, check the rod bearings while you are in there.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the turbo will not be going on until the problem is solved and yes i will check the bearings while im at it...thankx

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
i hate to be the bearer of bad news but youve got rod knock, it will never go away and if you turbo it it will blow your engine sooner. you either need to do a full rebuild or get a new motor. when the shop did the bearings, "if" they pulled the crank and had it turned then its not their fault as the oil leak has caused low oil conditions which will cause your bearings to burn up. if they didnt, then they need to rebuild it right. either way the bottom end is toast.
william

·
Registered
86 Posts
hey before you go into big spendings check your timing belt tentioner. i had this problem when i bought mine it was really bad and sounded like a rod. i went through it all but found the spring in the tentioner was broken. even had the same simptums as yours cold start rattles and low gear nock.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
shitz.....i was afraid that was the problem....and no its not the timing belt tensioner as i checked that as well...thanks though....so anyone have a spare 85 5m?or 6m for pretty reasonable price?

charlie

·
Registered
183 Posts
Help, I think

Ok, I have got a 1G-EU engine, so it is only a SOHC. So could the timing belt be the problem?
Can someone explain what rod-knock is? I am still a bit new at all engine bits.

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
where are you located? i have a 5mge complete with ~9k miles on it.
william

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey will....im located in Denver, PA....how much for the 5m?????

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
I wouldn't be calling on rod knock yet, My suggestion to this, is when you hear this noise, like when you first start it, take a long metal object, like a screwdriver, coathanger, etc. and put your ear to one end and the other to a place on your engine to identify where the noise is coming from. If it's louder on a particular place in your valve cover it could be a bad valve or stuck lash adjuster, if it's loud in between the spark plugs, maybe a bad wrist pin, etc. If it's loud in your oil pan, most likely it's a bad bearing. If you identify it as the noise being in the oil pan or in between cylinders, start pulling plug wires while the engine is running. Pull them one by one and listen to see where the noise stops. If the noise doesn't stop it's most likely not a bearing or piston, if the noise does stop, you've located the problem cylinder. Hope this helps ;)

Tanya

1 - 20 of 33 Posts