Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Whistles
1,047 Posts
I'd start by replacing as many seals and belts on the engine I could. Valve stem seals, front and rear mains, camshafts, valve covers, get ready to replace the water pump and timing belt if it's that old, and then run whatever oil you want.

A high mileage oil may help get you by a long time until then. No need to spend money on a synthetic.

·
Whistles
1,047 Posts
This topic has a lot of opinions.

Rebuilding is the best thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The issue I have with Synthetic is my 1st 83 Supra which I did a complete rebuild ( .5 o/s ) port+polish was it started to burn oil after 25000 km's after the rebuild

·
Whistles
1,047 Posts
Synthetics are used in brand new engines and builds all the time in other platforms. I switched to synthetic immediately after draining the cheap stuff out on my brand new build. I only have maybe 500 miles on it. I did just switch to VR1 20w-50, but that's because I wasn't getting the oil pressure I wanted at idle with the 10w, which my clearances were specified to. Still no problems to report. Fully built 1JZ.

Did you get each piston measured to it's cylinder?

·
Whistles
1,047 Posts
I'm sure the rings were gapped correctly. What caused them to go bad is what I am really poking in the dark for. People can say it's the oil, too rich air fuel, dirty bores, piston to wall, egg shaped bores from no torque plate, the list could be longer.

It's the best time in history for what's available with oil.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
Tired engine: 20-50.
New engine: 10-40 WITH zinc.
After break in,synthetic all the way.
Choose your brand. I was a Mobil 1 guy for a while.Now,I choose Penziol platinum.

My choice for oil filters: TOYOTA.
They are designed for our engines.
I have a pile of Wix and Napa ones that I will never use again. Yeah,they are larger.

I'll donate them:3 #1515 NAPA gold's. LOCAL PICK UP IN NORTH SEATTLE.FREE. No,really.

·
Tomitoyo
37 Posts
I have been using synthetic 5W40 for a while and now I am with a 5W50 (Mobil 1) and it works well for me, it is an oil that I used since 1986 in some of the cars I had. The 5M-GE engine is a modern engine and works well with these types of oils that are expensive but make the engine endure many kilometers or miles ...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I recently move up from 5/30 to 20/50 and I swear the power increased. My 5MGE has only about 80k on it however it was burning about 1 quart between 3k mile oil changes hence the change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts