Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

engine rebuild FAQ

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Angkistrodon 
#1 ·
I am looking to further my list of info for rebuilding a 5/6M (or even a 7M)and need your help. If you have info for the following, please post. If you wouldn't mind, please also email to me directly as this will make it much easier for me to compile the info with less chance for redundancy.
Please include as much detailed info as possible-- cost, where purchased, part number if availalbe, overall impressions, etc. Your help is greatly appreciated.

gasket sets - e.g. engine gasket sets, Toyota and carmadillo list a "w/perf pack" and a "w/out perf pack" Not sure what this means at this time.
What is included? What is not?

head gasket sets - same deal here

Misc seals, gaskets, o-rings not in kits? Various other items not usually thought of until you've already ordered up all other parts? (e.g. timing belt tensioner, etc.)

Anything else?

General consensus of Toyota v. aftermarket components (Fel-Pro, Ishino, etc.)

Thank you again. I am having considerable trouble getting anything meaningful using the Yahoo search of the mailing list archives.
Remeber, be as detailed as you can... assume I know nothing :]

Regards,

Jimi B
iamsupraman@juno.com

See less See more
#2 ·
When I did my first rebuild 20K ago I used a complete felpro kit from the corner autoparts store. It included everything I needed for the rebuild and some I didnt. I do not like cork oil pan gaskets (which came in the felpro kit). Everything else seemed to be fine. My engine did leak from the cam housings and the valve covers. I will be using RTV in those loactions this time around (in addition to the gaskets). I am also not going to use anything but RTV on the oil pan.

I probably wont get Felpro this time. Napa sells a gasket set for the car for around $100 (including the head gasket). I will not be using the composite head gasket with the kit as I already have a metal head gasket.

Any auto store should be able to order you a complete rebuild kit and should include anything you need.

#3 ·
There is a common 5m kit sold at many auto parts stores that came from a company in Spain, I can't recall the name off the top of my head right now, but there was a whole slew of these came up on Ebay a while back. Reason: all these kits were incomplete and for whatever reason could not be returned. There will still be a bunch of these in stock in low volume parts suppliers that haven't discovered the error yet. If you see "packaged in Spain" (individual gaskets actually made by variety of companies all over the world), just walk away. The cost of the missing pieces will be more than the cost of the kit.

Also, the TopLine 5m kits which is a well known brand, contain only 82-83 specific gaskets, even tho they are labeled as 82-88.

Phil D

#4 ·
toyota performance package

well when I rebuilded my 6M I bought the performance pakage for the rebuild and not really sure what are the difference in the regular and perf set... but everything I need is in the kit including valve guide seals and injector o-ring the only thing different fro topline is that you can order the topline kit with oil pump for the same $$$ as the toy perf kit w/o oil pump

#5 ·
supraman said:
gasket sets - e.g. engine gasket sets, Toyota and carmadillo list a "w/perf pack" and a "w/out perf pack" Not sure what this means at this time.
What is included? What is not?
The performance pack they are talking about would have different intake manifold gaskets. The performance pack cars are the ones with the d-shaped intake runners and the 9.2:1 CR. The performance pack cars should be 84 5spd and 85+. Toyota probably makes the "best" gasket sets, but you will pay for it (~$200 discounted IIRC). I would go with Felpro if you want to save a few bucks. Felpro makes top notch stuff.

#6 ·
Engine Rebuild FAQ submissions

Thanks for the comments thus far.
Anyone care to make a contribution to the FAQ with detailed info regarding the original post? There are still plenty of holes to be filled before it's worth submitting.
All help is appreciated.

Regards,

Jimi B

#7 ·
I'll try bringing this back from the dead for another try! :]

I spent a bit of time this weekend doing some more right-ups, but I'd like some help.

If you've rebuilt a 5/6M, please let me/us know what parts you used, your opinions, etc.

Thanks! I look forward to getting this done soon.

Regards,

Jimi

#8 ·
your gonna need several tubes of ultra gray gasket maker or the black toyota fipg. use it on the pan instead of the cork garbage, and for the intake manifold gaskets, rub some of the sealer in your fingers and cover the gaskets with a lite coat by rubbing your fingers on them, it will be enough to seal but wont squish out when tightening the bolts down. also, before putting the pan on clean the block and pan mating surfaces with a clean rag drenched in acetone. also be sure to do this to the block and head before installing the head gasket, same for the intake mating surfaces and the cam towers etc.. this will insure no residue on the surfaces and youll get a better seal. you will have to get the grommets for the injectors at the dealer. not the orings, i mean the parts that fit around the tip and slide into the runners. also, put some of the gasket sealer on both sides of the exhaust manifold gasket. not too much but a medium bead should be good. trust me. ive do this every time i install a manifold and never have any leaks. also, ,when done i highly suggest you follow the break in procedure i posted a few days ago. any other questions feel free to ask. im sure i forgot something.
william

#9 ·
heres the link to the break in procedure.

link

also, if your gonna be running an oil cooler, oil filter relocation kit, or a turbo, i also suggest shimming the oil pump for greater pressure. only takes a min and is a well worth mod. also, the off brand gaskets are fine as long as it includes everything, as for the head gasket, id use a mhg or if you want composite toyota or felpro. and i forgot to mention to cover the gaskets for the front timing covers and the rear main seal holder with fipg as well.

#10 ·
I'll ask Jake about the gaskets he got when he did the head. He bought an entire head set, and if I'm not mistaken it was in the $90 range. I'll get back with brand, etc if he still knows.

#11 ·
I just got a Toyota head gasket set. I have not opened it yet, so I'm not sure what all is included and what it not.

I think I remember someone mentioning that it was actually less expensive to purchase all of the individual gaskets and seals separately rather than as a set (from Toyota). Any comments on this?

Are the aftermarket kits any more or less comprehensive? Any more comments?

Either way, I'll be using aftermarket viton valve stem seals.

Regards,

Jimi

#13 ·
Do you mean Ajusa?
http://www.ajusa.es/us/about.htm

pdupler said:
There is a common 5m kit sold at many auto parts stores that came from a company in Spain, I can't recall the name off the top of my head right now, but there was a whole slew of these came up on Ebay a while back. Reason: all these kits were incomplete and for whatever reason could not be returned. There will still be a bunch of these in stock in low volume parts suppliers that haven't discovered the error yet. If you see "packaged in Spain" (individual gaskets actually made by variety of companies all over the world), just walk away. The cost of the missing pieces will be more than the cost of the kit.

Also, the TopLine 5m kits which is a well known brand, contain only 82-83 specific gaskets, even tho they are labeled as 82-88.

Phil D

#14 ·
I'm trying to document the different sites/places to purchase various rebuild kits, etc. I recall one site that offered a few different kits. Something like "gold" and "silver" etc. Some were fairly comprehensive, including many hard parts like bearings, thrust washers, oil pump, pistons, etc.

Anyone recall seeing this as well? I just can't remember the site, and if I saved it, I must have encrypted it :]

Also, I have used the Sealed Power brand viton valve stem seals with success. I see on RockAuto that they have a Sealed Power premium full engine gasket set; it's more expensive than Fel-Pro, but still much less than Toyota. Anyone use this one or know anything about it? I recall some have had bad experiences with certain Fel-Pro gaskets, as well as some other brands omitting many gaskets. Anyone know if this one is a decent alternative to OE?

Regards,

Jimi

#15 ·
i have posted how to shim the oil pump a few times already. heres a link to a thread where i described how to do it.

link

#17 ·
fu-gen said:
hi members i have a celica supra p-type and my car dont have balls i mean he lost a lot of power and i want to rebuild the engine but before that i wanna now if i can do or fix something in my car to get more balls. :?:
Hi there, Fu-gen. Try the search. It's the button on the toolbar that flashes different colors ("Please use" "SEARCH").

If you have a specific question that's not covered, you should start a new topic and relay that information there. This thread was started for discussion on experiences in rebuilds and the parts used, for use in an FAQ to be posted later.

Regards,

Jimi

#19 ·
Awake!!!!!
OLD THREAD.....but now it applies to me. I just blew my HG and ordered the head gasket kit from Toyota, it will be a couple days before it comes in(tear Down time). Anybody have any updated info on the complete set?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.