Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started after I filled up with gas 2 days ago. I got it from BP, like ussual, Premium, of course. My current motor, 6m, has fan PERFECT since I got it running. about half way home (30 min drive) when I left a stop sign going into my favorite set of curves the car seemed to just die at 3000 rpm while I was moving, but push in the clutch and hit the gas no problems at all. I talked to my dad, no idea, and my brother, which had the same prob with his Stang, and he suggested a fuel pressure reg, would a fuel pressure reg help? Just dirty gas? Bad injectors? The only excuse dad thought of was that my open element air filter (from rabidchimp.com) was letting too much air into the motor and it wasnt getting enough fuel, but that doesn't sound too convincing. little more info, the car will go past 3000 rpm but the accelerator has to be pushed in very gently or it starts all over again. Im gonna try some of that Heet stuff, just in case its water or something in the gas.
Also, is it possible to somehow bypass the EGR on the 6m intake? Cuz I'm running my 6m with the stock 82 intake, and I figured the newer intake would give me more HP, not to mention it looks a lot better too.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Mine started doing this big time when I put on the open element filter and intake pipe. I advanced my AFM to 4 clicks CCW and there was no improvement. I just got a timing light and found that my timing was at 6degrees :shock: (I had been tuning by ear and was way off :oops: ) I reset to 12 and most of the sputtering and loss of power went away however...It still does it in 2nd gear on steep hills as I accelerate up. and once in awhile in 4th as I pass 4500rpm but only when pushing the engine hard. It may be a vacuum advance issue. Are you using the 82 distributor with the vacuum advance?
On the plus side I can chirp the tires again :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
It sounds like your fuel pump could be wearing out too. The hotter the pump gets the weaker it is. If you have an external pump its simple to replace and fairly cheap too(i got a replacement for $30). If its an internal pump you may want to check other things that could be wrong since they are probably a few hundred dollars to be replaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts