Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car to Pueblo Toyota for some standard maintenance stuff, i.e. oil and oil filter change, spark plug change, and had the cooling system flushed and filled with Toyota red coolant. In the process something went terribly wrong, and the car would not start. After letting the technicians at Toyota fumble with it, they supposedly found nothing wrong, I called the mechanic in Germany that did the engine and restoration work. He suggested taking the battery out, charging it, putting it back in, activating and deactivating the alarm. I told the technician at Toyota to try it, and it worked so far. The car fires up and purrs like a kitten.

Toyota was saying it was the fuel pump, the said it was the cold start injector, then said it was the open relay switch, then said they did not know. I could not believe it was something as easy as charging the battry and resetting the alarm; which their Toyota Master Mechanic could not figure out, and had my car for a week.

Has anyone every heard of this? Should I remove the alarm if it is going to cause this problem?

All input is welcomed.

Ed
83 P-type 5 speed

·
Registered
591 Posts
lock and unlock the passenger side door next time. the alarm may have gone off durring the night or something my car goes off on windy days even tho the alarm has been disabled via the hood sensor. and my doorlocks open up by themselves on windy days...just like today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try that the next time, but they seem to have gooten it fixed after I call tthe mechanic in Germany and he suggested what they do. I have not tried to start it since I picked it up on Thursday evening. Today will tell all.

If it happens today, I will do what you suggested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DK,

The car is back to not starting again. I tried to start it yesterday, and it just sat there with the engine turning, trying to start. I armed and disarmed the alarm, and manually locked and unlocked the passenger side door.

I am at a point now where Pueblo Toyota better get it back to the running condition it was in when I took it to them. I do not know what they did, but they did something to cause this problem. I have invested about 30K in getting the car in peak running condition and restoration. I work on computers, and I do not kill the systems I work on. They work on cars, and have managed to kill my Supra.

The German mechanic that did all the work on the car is pissed; and so am I.

Anything else I can try, or suggest to them?

Ed

·
Registered
566 Posts
Williamse said:
DK,

manually locked and unlocked the passenger side door.

Ed
Ed, not to ask a stupid question, but because it has to do with the key locks and not interior switches, did you lock/unlock the door with the key?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well this is just a guess. But it seems to me that the alarm itself it where the problems is. I'd have them take a good look at it. There must be something in the alarm itself. That makes the car not start. The door locks shouldn't be the major problem.

·
Registered
591 Posts
nonononononono

if the engine cranks the alarm isn't doing it. if the alarm has gone off everything just goes blank when you turn the key the starter doesn't get anything. the problem could be a bad pickup coil in the distributor if you pull engine codes it should tell you. also another way to tell if it's ignition related is to crank it for a while and then with a flashlight look down the tailpipe if there is a white misty gas in there it's getting gas but no spark.

ps. don't test if it's gas like i did. a match to the tailpipe makes a big bang lol!

also...if it's a pickup coil make sure you get a junkyard distributor anywhere else is like 300 bucks and NOBODY sells the pickup coils by themselves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After speaking with the mechanic in Germany that installed the alarm, he suggested bypassing the alarm, setting the wiring for the ignition, coil, and fuel system back to factory wiring. The alarm he installed is a SPAR, and he had it set to control the entire functionality of the car in case it was ever broken in to. It also has a GPS tracking system. The alarm controlled the ignition and fuel system, along with the windows and door locks. I had the mechanic at Toyota do what he suggested, set the wiring that controls the ignition, coil, fuel control back to factory wiring, and the car now has no problems starting.

Now the question is, will Toyota replace the alarm since it was their mecahnic that hosed up the three modules on the alarm; and the alarm system is a little less than a year old and was in perfect working order until they tried to do an electrical teast on the car. I am having another control box sent to me from Germany and will have it installed.

While I am at it, does anyone else need this type of alarm?

Thanks for all of the input. I will keep everyone abreast of things. I will be picking the car up on Monday. They wanted me to pick it up on Friday, but I told them to keep it over the weekend so we could be sure they really fixed it this time.

Ed
83 P-Type 5 speed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bypassing the alarm connection for the coil, ignition, and fuel control worked. The car is starting up like her old self. I informed Toyota that a new alarm control module is being shipped to me from Germany, and that I expect them to install it.

They in fact did kill three modules of the alarm system.

Thanks for all the input, and if there is anything I can do for you (in the way of information), let me know.

Ed
85 Supra P-Type 5 Speed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts