Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wonder if anyone ever done any mkii engine swap with 350 chevy? A friend I work with told me I should put a 350 or 400 chevy in it.
So any idea of should or should not, advantage and disadvantage?
thanks!

·
3,283 Posts
supraii said:
I was just wonder if anyone ever done any mkii engine swap with 350 chevy? A friend I work with told me I should put a 350 or 400 chevy in it.
So any idea of should or should not, advantage and disadvantage?
thanks!
well, you'll get more oppinions on doing this swap than Chevy made engines....

the upside, is... upgrading the engine is simple... parts are all over the place for these...

downside... custom crossmember, tranny to MKII drivetrain issues, tranny fitment, diff may not hold the kind of power the v8 will put out...

I've kicked this idea around for the better part of the time I've owned my MKII. In the end, it's all about what you want to do with the car.

Mike

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
well, that book is old... i think from 1980... its REAL easy to make 400 horsepower from a chevy small block, just go online, order the right parts, install em, and youll be close.

yeah yeah, i know i over simplified it, but the book is talking about mostly stock engines, although a stock lt1, from a 93 camaro puts out 275 horses... thats more than enough to make the mkII very fast.

theres been a LOT of discussion in this forum, and on the yahoo list about swapping in a chevy v8... and i instigated a good portion of it.
just use the search button and youll find a bunch.

for myself, i think im going to go with the lexus 1uzfe swap when i get the money... 300ish horsepower from a stock engine that weighs barely more than the 5mge :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
The 1UZFE is probably close to the same weight, if not slightly lighter. The problem is adapting manual gearboxes, and I'm not sure if you have all the options we do in regards to custom bellhousings here in Australia.

·
Super Moderator
8,397 Posts
supraii said:
Thanks for the brain storm guys.
SilverMk2
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_TPI_TBI_V-8.html
I cant find anything about mkii in this site. Only find info about 240z and 280z. And the power listed were 170, 200, 279. If that is the case the mks family engine can also achive that right?
I try to search for more sources.
thanks!
Its just a 2 page article in the book, nothing special. That book features 350 swaps into all kinds or cars. JTRs big business is selling kits for Z car, S10s, and Jag V8 conversions.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
justcallmefrank... i know...i know, ive emailed back and forth with a couple shops over there, i might be getting a bell housing sent over here, or i might get one custom made, or converted here... depends what kind of costs are involved.

if i can get a w58 bellhousing mated to a 1uz, im just gonna have to hope the trannys as strong as everyone says they are :)

i figure if they can survive behind built 7mgte's and handle repeated drag strip launches, then it should be good for around town driving with the 1uzfe... least thats my logic.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My 2JZ has lots more torque than a 1UZ, and the W58 is holding up just fine so far. Of course if you try something silly, like 5000rpm launches at the drag strip with slicks, you could be asking for trouble. :)

You can also get 1UZ->R154 bellhousing adapters if the strength issue concerns you.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
thanks norbie :)
glad to hear it, so that removes one more worry from my mind... i was hoping the w58 would tolerate it, figured it would.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Strait off of celicasupra.com's picture archives......

·
3,283 Posts
dogstar said:
thanks norbie :)
glad to hear it, so that removes one more worry from my mind... i was hoping the w58 would tolerate it, figured it would.
Keep in mind Norbie is using a mkIV W58... although not a huge difference, the input shaft is a bit larger.

He's got just oodles of info on his website about his project.

Good luck,

Mike

·
Registered
382 Posts
Trading out the 5mge for a 350 is like taking the heart out of the ride. If your gonna change it at least try to keep it "Toyota". A 7mgte engine would yeh cost more than a simple 350 swap, but would make you have more pride in your car, Possibly give you a greater power output, give you a wider possiblity for tuning and well keep it Toyota.

Its a Supra Keep it a supra just evolve it.

Just My 2 cents,

Mitch

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't like when people put american V8's in japanese cars. If you want a V8 why not just sell the Supra and buy a Camaro or something. That is just my opinion but I don't like american V8 's period.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advices. It just that I got 3 85 mkii, but after I did more research I decided not to. the guy told me it is only good for 1/4 mile and it wont go long distance.
thanks!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
personally, i think all your "heart and soul" comments are silly, he wants a supra with a v8, because he feels it would be a good combination of power and performance, just as i do.

sure it wouldnt have an anemic, overweight engine in the engine bay, oh no!

do you guys agree that the shelby cobra is a good sports car?
most people do, yet they dont realize it was build from a british car with an american engine.
hybrids can be good.

anyways, im gonna get off my soap box and get my flame retardant suit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks dogstar, someone had to say that.

Hybrids are good.

Personally I wan't a mid engined Aries... but i'm pretty sure only I have that dream... thats what would make my Aries unique.

but yeah... the guy who said it was good for the quarter mile and nothing else... was full of crap.

A powerplant is a powerplant. its not like import engines put out a special kind of power that can be used to corner well, and contrary to popular belief, american engines do not put out power that can only be driven in a strait line! (or up a hill...) The ford GT40 used a 427 v8 to claim victory at LeMans so dont give me that strait line crap. And don't forget HKS built a skyline that practically flew a quartermile, with the japaneese engine.

A v8 would put the engine behind the front wheels in a supra... thus making it a front mid engined car.

personally I've heard Ford engines work better for the swaps, and im a big fan of the 351 winsor (dad had a '65 AC cobra replica with the winsor in it 8) :D )

The main thing is the internals of the engine... just make sure you don't throw a stock small block in there... that WOULD be a waste. take money you saved choosing the small block in that too-rusted-to-recognize truck you found in some farmers field over the 7m, pick up a preformance chevy magazine, and make that whore turn 10,000 rpm (well, at least 7,000... heh)

Heart and Soul? well say I had a heart attack, my heart was now useless and a transplant was necesesary, and my doner heart came from a Japaneese doner... am I now Japaneese? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't come up... unless it was 1802.

you know what? Using the reason "keep it the same make" to condem someones hybrid is Car racism... people should learn that whatever the make, model or even continent of orign... use what parts best fit your needs on the body that best fits your needs, (eg. my uncles ride: Hyundai Steller, Chevy 350) without worrying where it came from.

So forget about this segregation of cars, and make your Supra FAST!
If it still looks like a Supra, its still a Supra, just don't start putting Ferrari emblems on it... one day that guy will realize how ugly it really is. But not ugly because its a hybrid, but ugly because its UGLY

man, thats gotta be the weirdest metaphor I've ever come up with... wish I would have thought of that during my english final...

pssst, dogstar, can I borrow your suit?

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Well, I have to disagree with alot of that. I don't look at it as a heart and soul thing, I look at it as, whats a supra? If you have to define what makes a supra, you get.. a toyota with FR, 2dr hatchback, with 4 wheel discs, a decent compramise between performance and luxery, and an inline 6 cylinder thats built like a brick shit house. :D Every supra, including the 2000gt (the first supra, yes, yes it is) has followed those guidelines, they define what a supra is. To me you change that and you don't have a supra anymore. Hopefully Toyota realizes that before they launch a mk5.

Now, with that being said, I don't mind seeing swaps of different manufacturer done if it improves upon the original engine. A chevy v8 doesn't in my opinion, at least not one with an iron block. An LS1 (or is it LT1?), the one with the aluminum block, might be ok, but really, just go for the 1uzefe. Its the same amount of work to put in and its smaller and lighter and waaaaaaay more effiencent. 4 liters vs 5.7, and even stock it has more power then you'll ever need. An iron block 350 wouldn't be the greatest for a mk2, I'm pretty sure they're a little heavier. Plus you get to keep it in the family.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
im personally gonna try for the 1uzfe, mainly because of the effieciency... id MUCH rather have a chevy ls1 under the hood, those things can make extreme power, but the engine itself is more than a complete 1uzfe front clip.

i figure if i get a full clip for about 2000 less than the price of a ls1, im way ahead of the game.

·
Registered
69 Posts
just adding my 2 cents worth...

before i joined this forum, i was dreaming of a 1uz swap for my '82 p type. i was naive enough to think that i would be the first and only guy with a supe with a japaneese v8. i was even trying to keep it a secret until i could start the project :werd: for what it's worth, i think it's great that there is a huge community of folk with as much or more passion for the mk2 as i have :D

your swap should give you what you want out of your car. if you want detroit iron under your hood, i'm happy for you. if it still looks like a supra, you'll be the only one that knows, until the locals catch on.

the weight of the engine may change the character of your car moreso than the pedigree. imho, one of the things that's great about supras is the balanced handling they exhibit, even stock. that boat anchor out front could make for a supra that handles more like a camaro :( .on the other hand, the sound of a v8 with a good exhaust ... :rockon:

anyway, there's worse things you could do to a supra:

:gotrice:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts