Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. i am in really need of help...
I wanna know if a toyota celica gt with a 3tgte engine can be swapped with a 1jz engine... is the mounting the same?... how bout the transmission box?... is it possible to do the conversion?... and what are the cons and pros for 1jz and the 3tgte?... please help... :32:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Type of the car

the car is a celica gt model '85 liftback.. just like a celica supra mk2 but the front lights and grill are different... can somebody help me pls?...

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Performance..you're gonna get hammered on this thread. Yes, you can get someone to put a 1j into your car, with enough money. I can't tell you about pros and cons. I know very little about the T engines. I doubt thet mounting is the same. I'd bet a 6 packa beer on it.
-Aaron

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Why not just build up the 3T?

·
Registered
379 Posts
i don't think you'll have enough room in the engine bay for the extra 2 cylinders. also, it's my understanding that the *jz bell pattern is unique to the *jz motors. so you'd have to find an adapter or make one.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
i don't think you'll have enough room in the engine bay for the extra 2 cylinders. also, it's my understanding that the *jz bell pattern is unique to the *jz motors. so you'd have to find an adapter or make one.
The guy that posted just before you has a six banger in his Ceiica GTS.
-Aaron

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The guy that posted just before you has a six banger in his Ceiica GTS.
-Aaron
Not to mention that 1j and 2j's have already been swapped into a 3rd gen Celi. But you need "mad Google-fu" to allocate the information to see such a thing. And someone lacking Google-Fu, should not attempt an engine swap in any way.

·
Registered
379 Posts
hmm, i didn't notice that in his sig. did he have to do any fire wall massaging?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! google-fu.... BWahahahahahaha

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
hmm, i didn't notice that in his sig. did he have to do any fire wall massaging?
No, I don't think he did........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So a 1j cant fit huh?... sigh... but i saw in the internet that someone did change his celica gt engine to a 1j... i asked quite a few old skoolers and they say that it is possible.. with a very big pocket that is... the thing is, i dont really know much bout a 3tgte engine... i bought my celica gt 85 recently and still in progress understanding the 3tgte engine.. some ppl say that the engine is a lot like mitsubishi... 3tgte=vr4 (4g63)... old timers engines... just like a tank... tough and strong... but lack of something... never knew lack with what though... i googled bout the 3tgte and so far, i know that its a twin plug turbo 1.8cc and have around 200hp plus minus... but still, what are its cons and pros... sigh... anyway, thanks for all your help guys... gaining something is better than nothing... if anyone here knows something bout the 3tgte, you are most welcome to reply this post.. 83celWA, please email me pics of your car... especially the engine bay...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so the engine can fit.. nice... thats a project to run... hehehe... at last... my dream car and my dream engine... hahaha...

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
So a 1j cant fit huh

83celWA, please email me pics of your car... especially the engine bay...
so the engine can fit.. nice... thats a project to run... hehehe... at last... my dream car and my dream engine... hahaha...
Well at least you finally got what I posted.....

And sorry to say, if you cannot find pics of my car on here, I would have to advise not to attempt a 1J swap into your Celica.:ugh:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
3T-GTE's are old-school cool and used to be very popular with the early Celica crowd (I always wanted one for my TA22 but upgraded to an RA23 instead and got an 18R-G). The problem with them is parts are very hard to come by now, even basic stuff like the distributor cap which is somewhat unique given the 8-plug layout, and stock power output is pretty low by modern standards so they take a lot of work/money to make them really shine.

If you want to power up your Celica an engine swap is probably the best way forward, but if it was me I'd avoid JZ engines and other inline sixes; yes they will fit but it's very cramped so it will be a difficult swap, especially for a beginner. It also has a negative impact on the vehicle's balance as you have a lot of extra weight forward of the axle, which is never a good thing.

JZ engines fit like a glove in a MA61 Supra thanks to its bigger engine bay and longer wheelbase, so if you wanted to go down this path it would make much more sense to trade in your Celica for a Supra. Either that or look for a 4 cylinder or V6 engine for the Celica.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
and stock power output is pretty low by modern standards so they take a lot of work/money to make them really shine.

If you want to power up your Celica an engine swap is probably the best way forward, but if it was me I'd avoid JZ engines and other inline sixes; yes they will fit but it's very cramped so it will be a difficult swap, especially for a beginner. It also has a negative impact on the vehicle's balance as you have a lot of extra weight forward of the axle, which is never a good thing.
3T's are not too hard to get power out of, just hard to get the performance parts for them.

Not completely true about swapping an inline 6 into a celica, ask me how I know......

But a JZ on the other hand, not really sure how much they weigh compare to an M series engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts