Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, heres my problem...
ive got two 82s... ones a 5 speed, the other is an auto.

is it easier to pull the engine with transmission, or without?

since im going to be changing transmissions, is it easier to swap a tranny between engines inside the car, or on a work bench?

wish me luck :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I find it a little easier to pull the engine with transmission. It makes it much easier if you have an engine tilter for your hoist (don't really know what it's called). Putting the engine back in, it is MUCH easier to put it in with tranny. If you just pull the eingine, it can be a real PITA lining it up with the tranny when you're putting it back in. And it's easier to swap trannies with the engine out of the car.

HTH

Christian

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
excellent, thanks :)

i knew id read that someplace in here, but i didnt know how to search for it, and everything i tried came up with no news.

i just finished building my hoist and engine stand, so im gonna take a short break, then go at it again, time to yank an engine... if my helper ever shows up. :?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hey dogstar, if you're gonna pull it as one unit, make sure you take as much stuff off the front as possible, ie rad, fan etc. as there is not much room to fart around. Definately tilt the engine ( shorten the chain on engine front ) and a sweet idea is to raise the ass end of the car. What ever happens, take EXTREME car not to contact the steering rack. Good luck
DJ

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, thanks for the tip, i ended up having to raise the front end.

for some reason, that seemed to really help me get the motor out, and it came out easy, except i forgot the main wiring harness :oops: :twisted:

my helper decided not to show up, so i got to do it solo...
anyone who is somewhat experienced at working on cars can do this engine pull, make sure you have a helper, but its doable solo.

had a great time driving around town with me engine in the back of my truck too :)
ill write up my exploits in general chat, lol

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hey dogstar, if you're gonna pull it as one unit, make sure you take as much stuff off the front as possible, ie rad, fan etc. as there is not much room to fart around. Definately tilt the engine ( shorten the chain on engine front ) and a sweet idea is to raise the ass end of the car. What ever happens, take EXTREME car not to contact the steering rack. Good luck
DJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts