Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What cars will the 5MGE engine swap into other than the Supra or Celica? What kind of modification or parts would be required for a swap like this, I know there is at least one car that has the same engine from the factory but I can't remember for the life of me. Is there a place I could find a swap guide?

1982 supra p-type
with header and 2.5" exhaust
performance wires with plugs
striped out interior
runs 15.6s quarter mile

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I dont think the celicas ever came with a 5MGE :? but the cressys (cressida) did :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
i think what he was asking is what all could you put the 5m into and i would say the answer to that is whatever you feel like if you have the money to do what it takes to put it in and make it work

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've heard of people putting them in forerunners and i looked up the cressida.
what are PU's
i have an extra engine that was rebuilt and my friend was thinking of a good winter vehicle to put it in. forerunners would be nice but the only decent ones we find are expensive i would think that there would be something else it could swap into with minimal difficulty.
of course i could just sell the engine too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maybe you could find a corolla all-trac wagon (4wd) they are pretty cheap usually and you could probably put the 5M into it, although I don't know of it being done before. That would be a cool sleeper and a great winter car as well IMO.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
if your interested in selling, i could use a good rebuilt engine right about now....lol

im half way through a top end rebuild, trying to figure out where a damn knock is coming from :?

very frustrating!

ps: i lost your #, could you PM it to me again?

·
Registered
302 Posts
There was a guy on here that swapped one into his MG. I have also seen 5M and 7M's in old Datsuns...kit cars etc. Also, in regards to the swaps into boats, the 5M has been used for long distance racing boats in the past. They were run at over 5000 RPM constantly for lengthy periods, and held up just fine, with no major failures. All this in stock form, just to show you Toyota reliability. =) These things are almost bulletproof!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have just purchased a MZ11 Soarer. It is a 1981 model and has all the options on it. (Aircon/psteer/cruisecontrol/elecmirrors/elecwindows/etc) Weighing in.. with all these extras, at about just over 1320kgs i think, its not a bad base for a sports car. I will have either a 1JZ-GTE or 5/7MGEU in it in a matter of weeks.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
id like to see pics of the soarer, i always thought they were really cool cars. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts