Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up some like new spark plug wires at the wreckers. They look like they have less than 100kms on them :!: No problem with the install. I also checked with an inline spark tester.Everything is a-ok. Next I adjusted my timing by ear I turned it slightly clockwise and slowed down the idle a bit. It has better pick-up but the idle is a little low(500-550)
Have I done anything bad here?

-Wil

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wouldn't set by ear anymore(unless your ear is a lot better than mine), my dirt track racing has convinced me that the guys who time by ear often if not always finish behind those who check and double check with a timing light. They are too cheap now to not use.....one or two degrees may not mean much at idle but its another story at 6000rpm

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed...but since I dont have one or access to one for about a month can you guesstimate any negative effects?(I dont rev past 5500 :) )
-Wil

·
Registered
177 Posts
run good gas, listen for pinging, watch your tail pipe color and engine temp. I've run motors the same way, you ususally stay out of trouble

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If the car idles smoothly, I would not worry about the idle speed during warm weather, tho you may want to set it back up for winter, as it will help you warm up the car at a cold start.

as for the timing... When ya get the light, make sure you set it and double check it twice!! I've set mine at 14 degrees, and it seems to make a damn good bit of difference in the throttle response...just don't run anything less than 89 octaine in it or it will ping like its cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts