Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the difference between the 5m-ge/gte and the 6m-ge/gte and how do you know what you have? thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
engine diff's

the difference between a 5mge and a 5mgte are that the 5mgte is a turbo but the 5mge is NA. the 6mge i belive is a 3.0 and give's more horse than the 5mge. i'm pretty shure if i'm not mistaken that the 6mge also is a combination between the 5mge and 6mge. and once again the 6mgte is just a 6mge with a turbo on it whenever you see the letter "t" in an engine for the toyota's usually most car's it just means it's got turbo and to figure out wheater you have a 5mge you can look on the belt cover in front of the engine near where you open the hood. i'm not shure if the 6mge had a badge like that or not because they are a mix of 5mge so it may say 5mge but really a 6mge but i'm shure someone on the forum will be able to help you out a little more with spec's and stuff like that but those are the basic diff's between those engine type's. alrighty good luck pecae out.

Dan

·
Registered
794 Posts
Toyota never made a 5mgte (or a 6mgte to my knowdedge). Owners just call them that when they turbo them because toyota came out with the 7mge/7mgte (non-turbo/turbo).

So Technically even though I have turbo'd my 5mge the correct name when you call for parts is still 5mge.

Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did toyota put 2.8's and 3.0's in all the mkII's or was it just a year specific thing?

·
Registered
189 Posts
2.8 and 3.0

toyota put 2.8's in all of the mk2 but then when the mk3's came out they put the 3.0 and lots of people take the engine's from the mk3's and put them in their mk2 for the more horse. and yes crf_rider is right a 5mge with a turbo is still a 5mge with a turbo it's not really a 5mgte but everyone just call's it that so they don't have to type all that or say it all lol. well i belive toyota didn't put the 6mge in mk2's or mk3's for that matter. peace

Dan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so lookin at an 85 ptype N/A its a good guess to say its a 5mge right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
forgot to mention the car is almost all original so it most likely hasnt had a swap.

also, what kind of HP and TQ differences are we talkin about between a 5mge and a 6mge? Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
don't quote

don't quote me on this but i belive the 6mge is about 20-40 horse more than the 5mge i'm not positive though it may actually be more than that!!! i'm not to shure though and about the torque i don't really know someone on the forum will be able to tell you or you might be able to find it in the FAQ's section at the home page. aight peace

Dan

·
Registered
791 Posts
in the US, they only used the 5mge, only the imports had the 6mge, and neither came turbo'ed from the factory.
The 5mge was a 2.8L motor, while the 6mge was a 3.0L motor. The 6mge was kind of a hybrid between the 5 and 7 motors- the 6m has the crank of the 7mge, but almost the rest of the engine was 5m-based.
It should have a sticker on the front of the motor that says either 5mge or 6mge, as well as (if I'm not mistaken) the block having a stamp (or cast impression) on the intake side.
Try checking out this site's engine recipe page for lots of info between the engines:
http://www.celicasupra.com/recipes.htm

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
just want to mention something that always gets me...

flyin, not meaning to be a smart ass, but your just the most recent person to say it
"The 6mge was kind of a hybrid between the 5 and 7 motors- the 6m has the crank of the 7mge, but almost the rest of the engine was 5m-based."

its impossible for the 6M to have the crank from the 7M, as i belive the 6M began production 5 years before the 7M, therefore, its the 7M thats got a crank from the 6M.

its like saying that in world war 1 they used tanks from world war 2...

but anyways, now that ive said my bit, im gonna hush.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i think he meant the 7m has the same crank as the 6m, i think the 7m crank still has the 6m stamped on it, but not sure

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The 3.0L 6MGE is/was used only in Japan in one or two different cars. The 5MGE came standard in the US MKII's. The two engines look basically identical with the exception of the "3000" cast into the intake plenum as opposed to "EFI" that's cast into the 5MGE plenum. Some 6M's have to be retrofitted in some states with the 5M plenum in order to incorporate the EGR valve for emissions regulations. The black, top timing belt cover has "DOHC" molded into it. The 6MGE and 7MGE I believe share the same crank and rods but the pistons are different due to the 7MGE having a 24-valve head. The 7MGTE is a stock Toyota 3.0L turbocharged engine. The "T" added to 5MGE or 6MGE just signifies that the owner has installed his own turbo set up. The 7MGE and 7MGTE I believe both share the 3.0L 6MGE crank, but I could be wrong on this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have seen several (to darn many) 7M cranks from multiple years and they all had the 6M casting in the center.

5MGE 145Hp - 160Hp depending on year and model (P-Type or L-Type)
6MGE 190Hp, the 6M's intake plenum was not only egr delete but had better flow design (posted somewhere in this forum not so long ago)

Carl

·
Registered
138 Posts
i know some of the cressidas came w/the 7m, i found one at a local junkyard, that im thinking of putting in the supra :D

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yes, you are correct! The 6M did not use the 7M crank, they carried the 6M crank over to the 7M motor!
This is what happens when you are half asleep and posting. Sorry folks!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 6M was used in Crown limos, and one year of the Soarer, and were JDM only. None were produced for export.
The 7M used the 6M crank unitl Toyota rebalanced the 7M to make it smoother. They may have kept the 6M casting mark though.
Jamie

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Supramir,

Nope, none of the Cressida's came w/ the 6M. See other response's (1 year of the JDM Soarer & the JDM Crown 3000 sedan). For the 86 - 88 time period, the MX Cressida's had the 5MGE (at least in North America).

marlowmk2: The 89 - 91 MX Cressida's were the only years that had the 7MGE. The Cressida list confirms this. And even THOSE owners had to deal w/ BHG problems as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
However in Japan like the MKII (XX) the cressida did get the 6M, if your JDM 6M comes from a cressida you have to change the oil pan for your 5M's so it will fit.

So I suppose if the later 7M crank was better balanced it could be a sort of upgrade for the 6M (maybe for those that havent put it in yet) however I thought the whole point of I6 was that it was perfectly balanced by design?

Carl

1 - 20 of 31 Posts