Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone!

I recently bought a 1987 Supra as my first "project" car; the engine hasn't ran in approximately ten years.

I just installed a new fuel pump on the car (the original owner had told me that the only real problem the car had was the fuel pump) and tried starting the engine today : The engine always sounds like it's about to start but then just doesn't.

What should I be looking for? Worn spark plugs? Clogged fuel lines?

PS: I pretty much have zero mechanical skill (besides bolting and unbolting things).

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
You don't just lack mechanical skills. You lack forum skills as well. : - ) This is a Mk2 Supra forum. Yes, the engines are similar, as are the engine management systems. General automotive diagnostics apply to both models. Pop off the upper timing cover (or at least just undo all of the 10mm bolts, and pull the cover back to see if the timing belt is still on.
-Aaron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the inputs everyone.

I found a lot of water inside my spark plug wells, drained it all out and replaced my old spark plugs. Hopefully no water got inside the combustion chamber.

I also took a look at the timing belt :

The second belt below seemed to be missing; what exactly is it?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
That's for the A/C Compressor.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My advice to you is just to get out there and do it, that is the only way you will learn. I remember being 13 and watching my dad change breaks on his truck now look at me am pulling, rebuilding and re installing engines in my cars now am 19. just saying for motivation buddy not to offend at all.

as for the ps pump belt question, nothing bad should happen unless the pump is bad and starts whining GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
606 Posts
Check compression on all cylenders....
If they are all right check ignigtion timing.....

It Sounds exactly like mine did when I had a bad (think its called woodkey)
the key that pulls the timingbeltwheel behind pulleywheel.

Then the ignigtion will be flopping around...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check compression on all cylenders....
If they are all right check ignigtion timing.....

It Sounds exactly like mine did when I had a bad (think its called woodkey)
the key that pulls the timingbeltwheel behind pulleywheel.

Then the ignigtion will be flopping around...
The engine only starts running around 0:26 in the video. Should I still check for all of the above?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well first off, you should never crank the engine for that long. Your starter will overheat for sure. Go about 10-15 seconds max, then AT LEAST that much time to cool off.

Anyway did it start just by turning the key, or giving it gas while cranking?
Looks / sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Have you inspected all of the vacuum lines and gaskets?
Go to Auto Zone or somewhere that allows you to borrow tools, and rent a vacuum gauge. All you have to do is hook it up to a nipple on the intake manifold that supplies vacuum. At idle (600rpm actually) vacuum should read about 18-22 in. -Hg. at sea level. For ever 1000 feet above sea level, subtract 1 in. -Hg. from the equation.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If compression and ignigtion are ok I would check woodkey

The last time I started mine I had to keep on starting for 45 sec.... then I had to change woodkey and timingbeltpullwheel.

I were able to start the motor at a long time because I had raise timing wery high.. I had to turn the ignigtionhouse more than the bolt allowed.

Mine is 5mge

The reason I say check compression and ignigtion first are,, it may be hard to get pulleywhell off...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Honestly... I would perform all of the free and quick / easy tune-up type inspections miles before I would even consider the headache of a woodruff key.

A bad woodruff key is a pretty specific "problem" to assume right off the bat.
Many factors could effect timing. Have you even checked ignition timing yet?
If not... do so!
haha

·
Registered
606 Posts
Try turning crankshaft forward reward and see if camshaft is moving, if there a slip woodkey is bad, or lock crankshaft and move camshaft forward reward.. use some power it might "tighten" a bit...
if slip -- bad woodkeypulley

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I hope I didn't create more damage by cranking the engine for so long. :32:

The engine started by turning the key, without giving gas. The first start was the hardest but now it starts pretty quickly.

I have not inspected any of the vacuum lines or the gaskets yet, but I'll try and get to it today -- and as for ignition timing, I haven't got the slightest clue on how to inspect that.

PS: Could any of you refer me to tutorials and/or websites showing tools required for the jobs?

·
Registered
515 Posts
No no, you have not created any damage. Don't worry about that.
It's just for future projects, to preserve the starter's life.

And if it starts up quickly now, I would just do a general inspection / tune up and it should run smooth!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts