Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't really consider my car a "build" but perhaps a resto-mod. I have been fixing odds and ends and modifying some things in the 4 years I've owned it, and since the gallery of pictures I uploaded no longer works I figure I might as well make a thread for it. I think I have got it mostly chronological. So here we go...

We start with what project preceded the Supra. My 1986 Fiat/Bertone X1/9. I learned a lot working on this mid-engine oddity. Although it was a fun little car, at 6'3" it was a little difficult for me to fit into, and I had wanted a MK2 all along since I was about 16. So when the right Supra was found, it was time for the X to go.

Addio, Fiorella.

The craigslist posting was lacking in detail and pictures but for the asking price I risked the ~1 hr drive from the Portland area to Salem and I'm glad I did. Enter: "Eve", the 1985 P-Type 5-spd.

Here are a few pictures from when I got it home that day. The driver's fender had holes in it from pulling dents, the header panel looked the same, the interior was caked in dirt...

...and the engine covered in oil.

The rear brakes were gone, and the steering wheel had seen better days so I stole the Grant GT out of the X1/9 and put the factory wheel back in the X prior to selling.

Seats out, deep cleaning commences.

One of the early fixes was a Billy-M "Shift-Gasm" bushing kit, and for the record, it is as good as everyone says it is. [Note: Picture is prior to bushing installation]

Then a tune up with the usual cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air and fuel filters. And an early test fitting of a Tanabe 240sx strut bar to see if modding it to work was feasible.

Playing with sleepy eyes for a bit with some advice from another forum member. Didn't drive it around like that for very long, it was kinda asking for trouble.

After taking and posting some sub-par pictures I was petitioned by Billy-M to pick a suitable spot and take some actual pictures, which I did. Though at this point I had cleaned all the brake dust off the rear wheels but not the front yet. Kids these days.

After taking a job further away from home it was time for a new commuter to replace my aging Saturn SL. Enter: 2000 Celica.

Shortly after taking said job, low and behold a new co-worker was looking to offload his MK2 Supra because it wasn't running right and he didn't want to put money into fixing it. Enter: "Luna", the 1983 L-Type Auto.

I got Luna running right again, fixed the brakes, got her through DEQ and back on the road, even replaced the faded old hatch sticker with a nice new one from George/Raptor Racing. I came to realize however that restoring and maintaining two 30 year old cars was more than I could take on at the time, and sold "Luna" to someone up north.

Even with the '83 gone I was keeping plenty busy with Eve, the Celica GTS and a '94 Dodge Ram I had for a short time.

It was time for some interior mods. LED cluster lights, 7th gen Celica seats (the p-types were hashed unfortunately) a stereo, shifter & boot etc.

I decided to start on the engine and pulled the cam covers off to clean, strip and repaint.

They came out so nice I didn't want to put them back on that dirty motor in that dirty bay. So I began cleaning. So much cleaning. When I was satisfied with my progress I put them on for a test fit.

When re-installing the air intake I noticed the plastic was cracked and I had a vacuum leak. So I built a new intake via the Wes Hetrick method, and while I was in a "get-shit-done" period I modded and mounted the strut bar from earlier as well as some new louder horns.

When I saw the Klearz signal lenses I snagged a set pretty early on as I liked the look, paired them with LEDs and modded the side marker to flash with the signal, and signal to light up with the marker.

Not long after that install, right after passing DEQ to get new tags my alternator died on the freeway. Hooray for AAA.

Back on the read with a new MK3 alternator and some new KYB GR2 shocks and struts, I mounted and wired a 2nd set of fog lights that I had sitting new in the attic for years I forgot that I had bought. Also at this time I had some 235/60 tires and a Magnaflow muffler installed.

And that brings us to about the point my son was born last year on July 2nd, and about 9 days later, his first ride in the Supra. :)

Back to work, it was finally time to do the famous fog light mod. Special thanks to Tech26 for his easy write up.

Then came the louvers. After a long time searching I finally found a set.

I had been looking at RGB LEDs and wanted to try to integrate them to the climate control lights to get better light distribution and color choices. It worked, but it was a lot more work to install than I anticipated.

More info here: http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?74001-Color-Control-LEDs

With the PacNW meet coming up I finally finished a long standing project of a cam cover bolt upgrade with countersunk screws and washers. I couldn't find screws without marked heads so I had to grind, sand and polish them myself.

With the louvers I decided I needed some tint to complete the look. I went as dark as I can legally go in Oregon on the front and 2 shades darker on the rear.

Meeting up with some local Supra owners.

A couple of pics from show prep before the PacNW Nationals show-n-shine. At this point I had long sold the blue GTS Celica and bought a 1998 Subaru Legacy sedan.

And finishing the post for now is the last time I did anything of mention with the Supra, which was the PacNW show. Had a blast and met some great people.

Edit 10/24/16:

Current picture. Maybe I'll update the thread with actual details again sometime. :)

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I specially like what you did with your cam covers! Did you use high heat paint or did you powder-coat? I'm not sure what to do with mine yet...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words everyone :) It's a work in progress but I am proud of how far it's come.

How did you end up putting the vacuum ports on your intake? The Wes method says to do some welding/brazing to get those but it looks like you found a slicker way to do it, as usual :p
Heh, I don't know about slicker but at the time I was building the intake I REALLY wanted to get it back on the road again, I noticed the cracks in the plastic intake during what was supposed to be final reassembly after the deep cleaning. I didn't have access to a welder at the time so I fabbed something using drilled holes, rubber grommets lining them and cut some Dorman heater hose fittings where they are marked in the picture and pushed them through from the inside. They sit in there tight and seal fine but I am starting to see some cracking in the rubber grommets now so it may be time to finish them up as Wes did as I do have welder access now.

I specially like what you did with your cam covers! Did you use high heat paint or did you powder-coat? I'm not sure what to do with mine yet...
Just 500° rattle can engine paint. Cleaned, stripped, primed, painted orange, masked raised area (with frog tape/lightly adhesive masking tape), cut around the raised area with an X-Acto and painted them flat black.

did the 7th gen Seats Bolt right in?
I am not the best person to ask this question. The seats I bought had actually already been modded into a 2000 Civic SI my friend had just bought. He had some Honda S2000 seats he wanted in the SI so he gave me a steal of a deal for the Toyota seats. For me, it was as simple as a cut and re-weld. Check out this thread, to my knowledge "turbo MK1" was the first person to do this mod - or at least the first to post about it. That thread may have more info for you.

Any pics and info on the second car from the left in this pic?
That is Sam's (Sam_Smiles) car. It is a beast of a car and he is a super nice guy. Check out the last few pics in this post for some better pictures of it.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Looks good, a lot better. Congratulations on the baby !

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
Great work!

I've finally collected all the stuff I need to build the cold-air pipe. I'm probably going to thread some "right size" hose barbs into the aluminum tube, and seal them inside with some JB Weld.

And the cam covers look terrific!

Jim

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good, a lot better. Congratulations on the baby !
Thanks! Being a dad has been quite the experience. Can't believe he's over 1 year old already. My wife and I trade on and off "baby duty" on the weekends when she needs to get things done or when I need some Supra time.

Great work!

I've finally collected all the stuff I need to build the cold-air pipe. I'm probably going to thread some "right size" hose barbs into the aluminum tube, and seal them inside with some JB Weld.
Right on. Post some pics in your build thread when you do that, maybe I'll use your method if it works out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts