Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw these at the local Toyota Parts Department and I had the guys order one for the '82-'85 Supra. Fits great! With tax it ran me $32.80. Pretty snug fit to both sides, top and bottom.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
NICE!

as an alternative, I had made my own for a couple of bucks. I found a cheap-o cardboard one at my parents place for a truck and spent a lot of time cutting it to fit exactly. I grabbed one of the roll-out insulated foil sunshades from the dollar store (for a dollar). I cut the material at the folds of the cardboard piece so it would still fold up. a little bit a spray glue, and some aluminum tape (for duct work) I also had laying around was applied to all the seams and edges to keep things from curling.

This is an awesome thread. Custom fit is 100% the way to go, whether you buy it or make one yourself.

I may have to get my parents one of these!

·
Founding Member
6,525 Posts
Interesting. Might have to get one for my truck. Been using one from another car that's a little small. Question tho, how inconvenient is it to use. Some of the shades I've used are a pain and when its a pain, you tend to get lazy and skip it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Wow! Great discovery. Haven’t seen a custom fit sun shade before.

I have one of the thin, mylar-cloth-synthetic type with the 30 inch rings. To fold you simply twist the rings together and it becomes rather compact. I mention this in response to Phil’s comment. The one I currently use is a general type (one size fits most). It covers well as it has extra material which allows me to push it into the lower and upper corners of the windshield. I can pull it down and fold it in a matter of seconds. The type shown here appears to be the foam material type. A buddy at work has this type, forget the fact that it’s creased to allow for folding, it still seems he has difficulty folding it quickly and properly. How’s your experience with folding this custom shade, Steve?

Hot in the shade.
Scott

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
mine folds up like an accordian, scott. because I glued my foam/foal material ot the cardboard, I cut slits slits along the fold lines to relieve the pressure and allow easier folding. It's not convenient as some of these things that fold up into a circle, but it's not a problem at all. If I get bored today, I'll post a picture of what I have made!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Mine is taylor cut be me, and my wife sewed a ribbon all around.
Perfect fit!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
An important thing to note, and appears to be the case in these photos. It’s important to use a sunshade throughout the year, not just in the summer and under a blazing sun. Even on a cloudy day, use a sunshade. These shades, no matter the type, block UV – to some degree or another – which is important to eliminate, even more so than simple heat. Heat may eventually dry out improperly maintained vinyl but UV is the real devil on ALL material. But I’m sure everyone in here already using a sunshade knows that.

Hotter than hell.
Scott

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
mine folds up like an accordian, scott. because I glued my foam/foal material ot the cardboard, I cut slits slits along the fold lines to relieve the pressure and allow easier folding. It's not convenient as some of these things that fold up into a circle, but it's not a problem at all. If I get bored today, I'll post a picture of what I have made!
Oh, I was actually asking Steve from the initial post. LOL. Sorry. But I agree. Your custom cardboard shade should be super easy to fold since it’s a rigid material. I’ve used the cardboard type when I first started using them in 88-89. The pictures in the original post appear to be a foam material. Similar to the white, packing foam that comes in rolls/sheets. Only for the sunshade it’s a thicker mill. Even though it comes folded as an accordion it still appears to be tricky to refold without becoming frustrated and crumpling it into a ball. Of course, that’s just what I’ve seen my buddy do with his. LOL. Never used one like that myself. Was wondering if this custom made foam shade was of better quality and ease of handling.

Plus, it's made in America! :salute::thumbsup:

Sunny side up.
Scott

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This exact fit model is made of similar material to the accordian types with a mylar side. It's not quite as easy to remove and reinstall, but I'm new at using this one. The thing I like is that it gives complete coverage. The accordian one left a little gap at the top (UV could attack the sunvisor) and the very bottom (UV could attack the part of the dash nearest the windshield joint).

This fits very, very well and unrolls for a very tight fit. It rolls up into a roll with an elastic strap sewn on one edge to hold it in a rolled up position when not in use. The guys at the Toyota shop all bought them for their MR2's. The hardest part is threading it past the rearview mirror, but I expect it to get easier with experience. I've only had it a few days and haven't been in the car much this week. It's been raining and I use the Volvo on wet evenings. The box states it has a lifetime warranty. All I know is that my accordian type started to sag after a year and a half, and was too wide on the sides and too narrow top to bottom.

·
Super Moderator
8,567 Posts
I've always had bad luck with the reflective ones that look like that. The ones were the outer clear cover is heat pressed into the base material that give it a dotted look hold up much better. The ones like that I've had fall apart in about a year and leave plastic flakes everywhere.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The accordian type I replaced went in the garbage, not because the finish was damaged in any way, but because it sagged in the middle. Probably too much abuse in putting it on and taking it off. The thing went up every time I got out of the car, just about. I'll be taking good care of the new one. There is just something nice about something that is tailor fit to the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts