Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm gonna ask a shop this week if they can build me a test pipe for my car with a cable operated exhaust cutout welded into it...anybody interested? our inline sixes are the shiznit floored open exhaust...i want the open exhaust capabilities while still being able to take the cutout off for emissions...i figure it'd prolly end up even cheaper to just take my old cat off and save it till inspection time instead of hollowing out the old cat then having to buy a new one to put in it's place. plus i can turn on and off open exhaust at the push/pull of the activator. good idea?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Saw these in J C Whitney catalog a couple years ago for around $20. Still, now that I have a Supra, I'd like one more than ever. Let us know prices, I'll be doing exhaust sometime this summer so I'd need a 2.5" cutout.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
they still make them, they cost around $40 now a days, im not sure where you could go for a group buy though.

and yes, they = cool :)

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
if someone has a link to these 40 dollar ones I'd be interested, I know there is a company in the states selling really high quality ones that open up with a butterfly valve driven by an electric motor. They were price though, over 100. Don't have the link here

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
onephatcrackaII said:
that would be nice to have.... i need whatever size stock exhaust is for an 85.... how loud will that sound?
Pretty f'in loud....But if you want loud, then just go open header. I did that with my Thorley for a day.... Holy crap that was amusing/deafening. Idles like big cam V8 and screams like an f1 car. Sounds way better than an open stock mani...

Those electric cutouts are cool looking. I believe Supraforums' Dr. Jonez has them on his mkiii's

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
u mean j pipes? like the old draggers? where theyd keep the backpressure for take off then at WOT and high speed they slide the shaft and turn it into open headers for more power?

·
Registered
833 Posts
FWDsux said:
onephatcrackaII said:
that would be nice to have.... i need whatever size stock exhaust is for an 85.... how loud will that sound?
Pretty f'in loud....But if you want loud, then just go open header. I did that with my Thorley for a day.... Holy crap that was amusing/deafening. Idles like big cam V8 and screams like an f1 car. Sounds way better than an open stock mani...

Those electric cutouts are cool looking. I believe Supraforums' Dr. Jonez has them on his mkiii's
Can you open up a pacesetter? :lol: How do you open up a header for better performance and sound?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there's a better sound then stock mani...i'm buying a header now lol!

sorry haven't gotten prices yet...but i've found testpipes online so it'd basicly be the price of the testpipe plus cutout plus getting them cut and welded together.unfortunately the whole thing will run about 100 bucks. maybe 80 if i take them back home. but if you live in an emissions county it's great for those emissions testing days!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm keeping the stock exhaust system...i like that the car shuts the hell up when i'm not flooring it and doing everyday driving...i don't even really want it for performance i like the way the 5m sounds open exhaust...especially at high rpm's. i tried the 48" glasspack but still didn't like it...it was cool at first it was actually pretty quiet but it still bugged me so i slapped the stock exhaust system on so it would sound like a normal everyday car...

anybody tried sidepipes on a supra?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Wher that pix of the 1000hp mkII i think it had side pipes...

will

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
I don't know man, I had to drive a stock 85 70kms on back roads with no catback at all. It kinda sounded good but it hurt like a mofo! I was desparetly stuffing bits of paper I found in my pockets into my ears and driving with my elbows on the wheel and my hands on my ears when I could :lol: I found if I kept the revs at a certain level, around 3k or so the resoance was less so then at higher rpms and lower ones, less so is in I could almost stand the noise with my hands off my ears. Finally near the end I found some unused kleenex that made decent ear plugs, it was ok after that. It was a minor miracle that we didn't run into any cops. Then there was the drain plug on the auto tranny that went missing... boy, that was an interesting night :shock:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
87-TRDCressida said:
Can you open up a pacesetter? :lol: How do you open up a header for better performance and sound?
You take your exhaust off the header. So the exhaust goes from the combustion chamber, out the exhaust valve, down the header and then it's free because it's outside!

As Billy said, I'm pretty sure there is not much gains to be had by doing this IF you have a 2.5" exhaust....except for the noise. But if you have a stock system, then a cutout would help to free up the exhaust for racing or whatnot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts