Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to rebuild my 5M. How can I keep from breaking off the exhaust manifold bolts?? Every engine I have rebuilt(2)this has happened. I would really like to avoid it this time. Also, I am getting the head extrude honed, and need to know what I should do in addition to this to prep it for a metal head gasket. I also need to know anything else helpful to beef it up for the turbo.

Thanks,
Christopher

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try This

To get those mainfold studs out, squirt some penetration oil (be very generous) onto each stud and leave it over night. Them attempt to slowly undo each nut on the suds. If you find it too tight give the oil another go. I did this and got away with out breaking a stud.

Good Luck 8)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ditto on the oil... I sprayed both some WD-40 and some silicone penetrating oil on my exhaust manifold nuts/bolts once a day for about 3 days before I started my HG tear-down. Came off without a hitch.

The part where the manifold connects to the cat is another story. Here's a tip: just remove the rubber hangers that are close to the cat and you can move the whole manifold assembly away from the head enough so it can be yanked off. Be sure to support it with something while the head's off.

Ryan
84 MKII L-type (head going back on this weekend -- pics soon)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts