Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a "throaty" sound?

talking about how most american *muscle* cars sound?

not a fan of the magnaflow *VBROOM* honda crx/civic type noise that most guys have on..

does this even make sense?

any cheap options available without going custom..etc?

*82 p type here, stock*

will just swapping a muffler do anything for the mkII's? should I lose the cat?

I don't like modding my car from it's original state...but would like to hear the engine...sometimes, I don't even know the car is turned on !!!

:) sorry if this q has been beaten to death

·
Registered
325 Posts
well i use a cherry bomb turbo muffler its quiet but still has a good sound not like a rice burner.... as for the cat im not sure about Canada emissions policy if you dont have to do emissions i would toss or sell the cat but cut the flanges off you need those now get a foot long 2 inch steel tube and cut to fit weld it all together and your good to roll

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i use a cherry bomb turbo muffler its quiet but still has a good sound not like a rice burner.... as for the cat im not sure about Canada emissions policy if you dont have to do emissions i would toss or sell the cat but cut the flanges off you need those now get a foot long 2 inch steel tube and cut to fit weld it all together and your good to roll
is that what they are called? Rice burners? lol.. cool

anyways, I believe I can remove the cat here.. I have before on a diff car and never had a problem. but don't want to do the hassle if it won't make any difference tbh

·
Registered
325 Posts
you will feel a lil difference you will feel more if you get a whole 2.25 inche exhaust and a free flow muffler youll be way better off

·
Founding Member
6,522 Posts
Chambered type mufflers like the standard flowmaster (there are lots of no-name brand chambered mufflers and cheap knock-offs) will make the supra sound like the muscle car sound you want. Flowmasters are well made but some of the cheaper ones can sound like tin. But be warned, these type mufflers produce a constant drone or resonance inside the cabin at speed that many people find very annoying and that's even more pronounced with some of the cheapest ones. I posted a bunch of info about types of mufflers probably more than five years ago if you care to search for it.

I think most people on here have settled on Magnaflow type mufflers. They sound much different on the Supra than on a Civic. On the Civic, its akin to playing a tuba with a trumpet mouthpiece. Properly sized on a Supra, 2.25" its like a well tuned baritone.

Whether you run a cat or not is based on your local emissions rules and personal preference, but removal of the honeycomb cat will make the exhaust louder for sure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ~!!

the standard is 1.75''??

I had modding...and it can get so pricey...sigh :(

I'll give it a try with a flowmaster though, not too worried about the inside noise as the car is so rickety already :p

thanks again!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
use the same size muffler as the size of the exhaust piping. a different diameter should cause a loss of power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am just getting ready to get a 2.25" exhaust done on my 84, i am getting the cat removed and having all new exhaust done from the headers back, a place here is doing that for around $200, it might include glass packs, but i am going to look at what the shop has to offer. Whadda you guys think? (basically the same question that started this thread)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
If you're going to do it get a 2.5" for more na power.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Seriously? Don't like the japanese sound? want a muscle car sound? go buy and american muscle car! Now that being said i have the raptor racing header and 2.5 header back, test pipe and magnaflow and my car sounds nothing like a honda, in fact short of the others with the same exhaust on here it has a very distinct and for lack of a better term racey sound. Cheap exhaust NEVER sounds good imo. Cheap exhaust makes your car sound like every other rice rocket with a couple dollars in his pocket and a pep boys close by.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am getting the 2.5" done on Thursday. i will have to take a before and after pic, when i picked up my supra, the exhaust was held on by bailing wire.... such stupidity, who puts bailing wire on a car!?!?!?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Who puts baling wire (or twine) on a car? Country folk and hillbillies!
You know what city folk use to hold their cars together? Duct tape!

Really, if you look around, you'll see how true it is! lol Good choice on moving up to 2 1/2" exhaust.

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
wire usually lasts longer than twine but twine is a bit cheaper

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Seriously? Don't like the japanese sound? want a muscle car sound? go buy and american muscle car! Now that being said i have the raptor racing header and 2.5 header back, test pipe and magnaflow and my car sounds nothing like a honda, in fact short of the others with the same exhaust on here it has a very distinct and for lack of a better term racey sound. Cheap exhaust NEVER sounds good imo. Cheap exhaust makes your car sound like every other rice rocket with a couple dollars in his pocket and a pep boys close by.
THIS!!!!

Gonna be hard to get the sound of a throaty v8 out of an inline six. They have their very own unique sounds (sexy sound btw).

But even more true than that is about choosing your exhaust. Reasons why most hondas and other imports sound the same is cause they are go buy the same cheap mufflers cause they dont wanna spend much.
Thats what your gonna fall into.
Start doing research on mufflers, use youtube and streetfire.net to find supra exhaust sounds and what muffler they have.

Go to your local exhaust shop and have them give you a quote on bending and hanging pipe. I know I got it done for pretty cheap around here. (100 flat for them to bend, weld and hang full 3" piping and put on the muffler I took to them)

So find the muffler online that sounds most appealing to you, then go in and have it put on new (bigger) piping.
Itll be tough to have a throaty v8 sound but you can get pretty awesome sound out of a I6

·
Registered
437 Posts
For an N/A car I can not praise this system enough. Raptor Racing 6-1 header, test pipe and 2.5" cat-back exhaust.

Ive had it out driving around the last couple of days with this super nice weather we've been having and have had nothing but compliments on how nice it sounds. A lot of people that havnt seen or heard my car in a while think its turbo'd because of how much louder the car gets after 3K rpm.

http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=53329

1 - 20 of 21 Posts