Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Exhaust Styles. Which do you prefer?

4K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Melly 
#1 ·
I have currently been attaching bolt-on's to my 82 Supra.. My next move is an exaust. I found a local shop that will weld on any exuast i choose for about $1oo.. So far on my list i have the Greddy Evo style, or Tanabe Racing medallion. Does anyone have any suggestions for exuast. Im looking for a deep bass sound, not annoying and loud..

#2 ·
go with which ever you like....they both are good brands....butta go with a 2.5 inch to 3 inch piping for much better performance....and also you will not get that annoyin high pitch 4 banger ricer noise cuz its a SUPRA duh....lol...good luck

charlie

#4 ·
3" straight pipe & maybe a $16 turbo muffler.

Sean's right, although I don't know why you'd use a resonator...

Should be able to get the straight pipe done for ~$40 (all the way from the down-pipe/no cat) and Turbo Muffler can be had for ~$16. Have them bend some kink-free pipe for the intake with the rest... :wink:

#7 ·
I put a big ass resonator on my exh. 1- it was too loud 2 - got a citation dont wanna deal with it no more.
IF u get a resonator id suggest a small 2.5in to quite it a little. Look at it this way first go 2.5in all the way and if u feel its too loud have a resonator installed.

#9 ·
The diameter of your exhaust tip is directly proportional to your engine horsepower. As an example, look at a stock Civic. From the factory, with 1" pipe, they have roughly 110 hp or so. Now, when you average teenager welds on a 5" exhaust tip, horsepower is INSTANTLY increased to well over 200. There is no need to increase the actual size of the pipe, as this has no bearing on actual exhaust flow/output whatsoever, just the tip is what is important. Also, it seems, sound has a factor too. The louder it is, the more afraid other cars/drivers will be therefore decreasing thier horsepower as a side benefit. Police, however, know this and have been known to issue citations. Hope this helps!

-Ken

#10 ·
J/K :)
I have 2.5" pipe cat-back on mine, and a 3" tip. It does make it slightly quieter, as I ran with then without to determine the difference and it was louder, on mine anyway, without one. They make tips to make it louder and piss people off, so I would avoid those (they give you mad horsepower though, tempting I know, but you must resist :) ) I paid $30 bucks from Autozone for my tip, $60 for the muffler and $40 for the pipe, installed. Sounds nice, and flows MUCH better than stock.

-Ken

#11 ·
At the risk of being a butt. I think that the tip has no affect on HP whatsoever. Unless of course the tip is somehow smaller or more restrictive then the rest of the the exhaust; In that case the power would of course be reduced.

#14 ·
SupraWes said:
Naww man you gotta get one of those light up tips so the exhaust knows which way iz out. That way it wont get confuzed and cause turbulence.
nawww man the purpose of those lighted tips is to add horsepower...man it gives you like a 25% increase in horsepower......lol

the real use is to locate ricers that drove into a ditch while trying to street race.......

#16 ·
Lit exhaust tips.

I think Melly's probably right.

It's a conspiracy by Law Enforcement, so they can see where you're going, even if your lights are turned off... :shock:

Hey, if it looks like an afterburner, it must do something to make your car faster - if you close your eyes and think you're flying, maybe you can really fly... :idea:

#18 ·
But with ricers its precieved horsepower, not real power. So an lighted 5'' exhaust, along with cut springs, unpainted bodykit, carbon-fiber look-alike race wing, rims that cost more then the car, and stickers will can you huge amounts of power... almost enough that you could almost catch a stock Civic (like the car originally was :roll: )

#20 ·
I've been toying with an idea that I havnt seen done on a supra... or really any import for that matter, thats doing a 3 inch pipe and mouting the muffler in line... like how domestics and trucks do thiers and then at the back just have a chrome pipe, I think if done right this could look really clean and not have the giant chrome fart can muffler look of the ricers. My buddie just did this to a mini coop S and it looks and sounds really good.... any opinions of doing this on a MKii??

#21 ·
http://groups.msn.com/ALsupra/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2

In the beginning, I had a 2" exhaust with my Pacesetter header; a little 'poppy' sounding. Then I went for 3" with no resonator. Eliminated the 'pops' and deepened the tone greatly.

Now with the turbo, it's sounds even more 'mellow', but a resonator would really smooth things out. I'll never go back to the small piping.

The muffler? Bought it on Ebay; universal stainless 3" in/out with removable baffle.

#24 ·
Hey ZZT231, that's a nice looking muffler!

I'm going for a straight through 3" high-flo system with 2 resonators (at least until I get engineering approval). The tip looks a bit big on a Mk2 for my tastes - I think the eyeball should be drawn elsewhere on such a lovely looking car. With unlimitted funds, I'd kinda like to see the look of a twin exhaust system with tips on either side. Might be a good blend of subtle style and performance.

FWIW, this is my muffler : http://www.cypherindustries.com.au/catalogue/catpages/exhaust/mufflers/n1.php

- Justin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.