Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah so when i took my exhaust manifold off i noticed there were two of the studs missing and the start of the threads were a little effed up. (7mgte by the way) so i was wondering if you think i could just re-tap the first two ish threads or just drill it out and helicoil it would be easier and if so can someone help me with what the pitch is and everything so i get the right stuff

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh and also on my 7mgte one of the sensors like on the thermostat housing was broken but i have one for a 7mge still from my old motor and i was just wondering if that would work too? they are the same color so i thought it might work but better check ya the two at the bottom

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Why use 2JZGTE studs? Haven't heard of this mod before.
Andy, its is a common stud to use. The only real difference with the 2JZ studs (many different Toyotas use the same stud) would be the length and the torx end on them. Outside of that they are the same material.

Mentioning that they come out a 2JZ is worth an extra 5 hp though

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Andy, its is a common stud to use. The only real difference with the 2JZ studs (many different Toyotas use the same stud) would be the length and the torx end on them. Outside of that they are the same material.

Mentioning that they come out a 2JZ is worth an extra 5 hp though
Current cost with nuts?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Retapping may not work if they become really stripped. Yours may not be too bad.. If you are handy and have a GOOD tapping set (not my crappy Advance Auto Chinese set), you can consider drilling out and retapping with a coarser thread pitch. The kit you can buy on Supramania runs about $70 for drill bit, helicoils, and new studs. They recommend a 7/16 coarse thread. Turbo's are heavy.
I won't go into it here, but I bought equivalent taps, helicoils (Fix-a-thread brand), and 7/16 studs and had some success, but you need a really good tap and the motor out of the car to really get at the holes well. Supramania's kit comes with some 90 degree tools to work with the motor in the car. Their kit is worth the money, but you need someone with the skill and tap set to help you if it's your daily driver and don't have the time to experiment.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah they were too trashed to save i put the studs in and starting torquing them down and it just ripped the threads right out of the head so i guess im gonna buy a helicoil kit. found one for only 48 dollars or something and comes with ten of them so thats my next step. will post process for everyone and gonna make a build thread soon also which i hope will help every supra lover in some way or another :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Find and read some good threads on using a tap set. A few tips:

Don't push the bit all the way or in very hard or you will go too deep and end up somewhere you don't want to ever see. It really cuts the aluminum like butter. see if you can mark your bit with a marker to measure your progress.

Only try to tap a quarter turn at a time, back it out a half turn to dislodge the shavings , turn forward again, and repeat. Make sure to lubricate with the special spray very frequently (I used wd40). I took the tap out (carefully) several times (prolly not recommended) to blow the hole out with compressed air. You have to do that. Just be very careful to restart the tap and to not cross-thread it again.

I didn't get the helicoil to seat all the way until hole #3. My tap set sucked and the handle broke, I returned it and got another, but the project is on back burner.......not a DD.

You might have to procure a tap handle in addition to the stud set--probably doesn't include it. Good luck! Take some pics and we'll compare and laugh.

Doug

1 - 15 of 15 Posts