Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Extension cord for fridge in garage advice?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ddd228 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, hoping y'all can help me! We just ordered a new fridge to be delivered and installed Monday... Our old fridge we plan to put in the garage just for a month or so, to help keep the food cold while the new fridge breaks in for 24 hours and then just to have extra space while stuck at home... I'll need to use a 25-50 foot extension cord though for where it is going to sit in the garage, and don't want to start a fire or have it overheat... Its a 23.2 cubic foot fridge/freezer combo... What gauge and amps do I need for such a thing is this article useful for me How Many Amps Does a Refrigerator Use? - RefrigeratorFAQ.com ? thanks!

#3 ·
Your best bet is to run a dedicated outlet on its own circuit near the fridge. That's what I did in my garage. Much safer that way. Plus it'll look nicer than having a cord running through the garage. If something else on that circuit trips the breaker your fridge loses power and you'll have a mess to deal with. One time I came home after a two week vacation to a nice smell and mess to clean up

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ddddesigns
#5 ·
I just noticed you said for only a month. Nevetmind extension cord will do ya!

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Hey guys, hoping y'all can help me! We just ordered a new fridge to be delivered and installed Monday... Our old fridge we plan to put in the garage just for a month or so, to help keep the food cold while the new fridge breaks in for 24 hours and then just to have extra space while stuck at home... I'll need to use a 25-50 foot extension cord though for where it is going to sit in the garage, and don't want to start a fire or have it overheat... Its a 23.2 cubic foot fridge/freezer combo... What gauge and amps do I need for such a thing? thanks!
if you want safe access to power in your garage, you must dig a trench (about) a foot down and lay schedule 40 grey PCV. Run the power cable in the PVC. Use bury able 10-12 G. wires. I did that for my shed, but it's only 7 feet from my house. Depends on your local N.Y. electrical codes. I dug it out by hand, 18 " deep. You could rent a trencher and follow your local codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.