Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had issues with bump steer for some time now, so i installed new ball joints and bushings from moog. while i had the steering knuckle apart i noticed that the inner tie rod ends were loose and showed a lot of play fore and aft. 2 days ago i replaced the inners and outters. seems quieter now over bumps and dips but the bump steer seems much worse. i understand the allignment is off but with christmas at hand, ive been too busy to get it on an alignment rack. tomorrow looks good i think. the question actually is how does new tie rods increase the effects of bump steer? when i hit a bump that both wheels track through the effects are minimal. but if its just one side or the other i get a prety violent shake in the steerin wheel and it feels almost like the tires are gonna come out from under the car. its mostly on the passenger side.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Are the upper strut mounts in good shape (no cracks/camber plates instead)? Has the car been lowered without using RCA's?

Changing both the inner AND the outer tie rod ends increases the likelihood (and probably the amount) of how far off your alignment will become. I think it just needs a good alignment, and it will be fine.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i first got the car the passenger side strut mount was completely seperated and the strut made an indentation the hood lining. i replaced that part some time ago. as far as i know the car has not been lowered. i checked the ride height at the lca pivot, and it was just over 8.5". roughly based on my tape measure.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Is there any play in the steering wheel with the engine off and the car completely on the ground?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so i made it in yesterday before my trip to see my parents. got the alignment. almost every angle was/is out. im kindof on a tight budget right now so i asked them to dial in my toe. it really fixed a lot of the bump steer and all the other problems associated with a really bad alignment. im gonna scan in a copy of the report a little later if anyone is interested. its kinda messed up. all the same tho, i like to get a document that gauges my progress...lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts