Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I have an '85 P-Type I bought last week and I remember reading in the specs for the '85s that they came with an alarm. I did a pretty thorough search in the CS forums and couldn't come up with any info. about normal operation of the alarm. I also read the owner's manual and didn't see anything (it's possible I missed it; or maybe it had its own separate manual). I don't really care if it works or not on my car, but let's just say I'm curious, not to mention I haven't seen anything in the car that would indicate it has one. So, I have some questions. Did they all come with alarms or was it an option? How do you 'arm' it? How do you know if it's armed, is there an indicator light somewhere? Is it key-operated? Things like that. I look forward to hearing from any of you experts here who know these cars inside-out, and thanks in advance.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
I have a switch in my trunk which is obviously not OEM. when I flip it on and lock my doors then try to unlock it with the KEY it starts blaring, the lights flip up and start flashing.

People say that the contacts in the key lock mess up and the car thinks your trying to steal it.

that switch stays in the off position on my car lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
No it does not have any sort of indicator light. Simply lock the drivers door either with the power door lock switch or lock it with the key and the alarm is set. If the door is now opened without using the key to unlock it the alarm will go off. You will know it because the horn stats beeping and the parking lights flash. Simply put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the on position to disarm it if you have set it off.

My 84 doesn't have the alarm but my sons 85 does and that is how I remember the alarm working.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No it does not have any sort of indicator light. Simply lock the drivers door either with the power door lock switch or lock it with the key and the alarm is set. If the door is now opened without using the key to unlock it the alarm will go off. You will know it because the horn stats beeping and the parking lights flash. Simply put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the on position to disarm it if you have set it off.

My 84 doesn't have the alarm but my sons 85 does and that is how I remember the alarm working.
Thanks for that 80's Toy Nut. Sounds like the most invisible car alarm in the world. Good to know how to disarm it though.

Also good to see you listed the Benz wagon on your signature. Maybe I should list all my bikes too. I'm just afraid that if they see which different bikes I own, people might think I'm one conflicted dude!

Uh, let me clarify -- conflicted in a vehicular sense, that is...

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
The contacts in the drivers door corrode and/or break and the switch becomes intermittent. You can see the guys who have cars with this problem because they'll unlock the car on the passenger side and then go around to the driver's side to get in.

They also get people's attention when they unlock the car and the horn goes off and the lights flash. It's annoying as hell when it happens to you at 5 Am in the morning when you're trying to make a quiet get away to go golfing! LOL

·
Registered
146 Posts
The contacts in the drivers door corrode and/or break and the switch becomes intermittent. You can see the guys who have cars with this problem because they'll unlock the car on the passenger side and then go around to the driver's side to get in.
I have the same problem with the 85'. its such a hassle lol.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have that problem with my 85. i unlock the d/s door and open and the alarm goes off. is there anyway to disarm or disconnect it? is there a relay somewhere or a module to unplug?

·
Registered
471 Posts
i love my alarm to bad it only works by opening door from the inside while its locked ;[

i've made money off it by betting my friends my car has a stock alarm :D

·
Registered
683 Posts
I thought I read in the owner's manual the way to arm the alarm is to lock the doors with the door lock switch then close the driver side door with the handle pulled up. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
471 Posts
you are correct.

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
I thought I read in the owner's manual the way to arm the alarm is to lock the doors with the door lock switch then close the driver side door with the handle pulled up. Am I wrong?
Yes, and the easy way to avoid the alarm going off is to always lock with the key. Plus you never lock the keys in the car if you do this.

·
Registered
472 Posts
yeah. but mine will go off sometimes even when i lock with the key. idk. its funny. annoying as hell though sometimes...

·
Registered
637 Posts
on 84-86's do you also have to hold the door handle for it to actually lock?
i know on my 83 if you close the door without holding the handle it won't lock.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Careful of the hatch. If you lock it and the alarm is armed i think you can only unlock it at the door. i may be wrong but seemed to remember setting it off a few times when car is locked and i pop the hatch. or you lock it with someone inside and they open there door late! lol

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
There is a micro switch in the doors.

(Drivers Side)
Turn the key once for drivers door.
Turn the key twice and it will unlock the passenger door.

Computer is hidden behind armrest area of drivers side rear seat.

all three my cars have an anti-theft warning on the rear quarter windows.

The switch is easy to fix, but pain in the ass to get to.

It can be disabled by simply unplugging the control box.

Also, The alarm horn is a separate unit from the typical horn iirc.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I generally just use the key to lock mine. Since my Driverside lock cylinder broke, I've had to lock the driver door from the inside and lifting the handle to shut. Then locking the passenger side with the key so as to not set off the alarm when I get back to the car. It's a PITA but better than having to dive in the car and switch the ignition to stop the horn and lights from flashing and beeping. (I have a new cylinder, but I'm too broke to get it rekeyed atm)

·
Registered
146 Posts
how much is it for a cylinder and to get it rekeyed?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
If I got a new cylinder from Toyota, (local dealers) it would be between $60-70. I found one in good condition at the local P&P for $7. To get it re keyed I've been quoted $30.

·
Registered
325 Posts
ok so my 85 supra has a alarm and it sets just fine but every time i unlock the door WITH the key and open it the alarm goes off and it turns off when i put the key in but i would like it to not do that when i unlock it, is there any way to fix that without turning the alarm off???

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
It probably isn't getting a signal from the lock sensor, so it doesn't think you've unlocked the door, but it opened. If its the stock alarm, try the tsrm?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts