Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

Pardon my newbness, I am new to anything other than domestic cars.

So here's my story. Decided to get my 85 Supra plated and took it for an Indiana emissions test. Passed easily on HC and CO but failed slightly on Nox.(3.09 vs 3.00) Apparently this is a new area that they are testing more stringently on.

I took the car to a repair shop that I had not used previously that was close to my house since they advertised emissions repairs.

Mechanic called me back late today and said that the reason for the high Nox reading is due to the EGR valve not functioning properly and that he believes that the catalytic convertor maybe faulty and that the orifice tube that runs under(thru) the intake manifold is carboned up. Sorta makes sense as this car has not been a daily driver for many years according to the previous owner.

Anyways, he says that the best fix would be to get a new manifold, but none are available. Next best would be a used one, but might encounter the same carboned up issued with that one as well. He recommends taking off the intake and sending it out to a machine shop to have it cleaned out. Total time involved is a day to a day and a half.

Oh and he also said he intake repair cost to be about $440.00 and a new catalytic convertor to be about $343.00. Seems kinda pricey to me and I don't exactly have that kind of money right now to spend on this car.

Looking for some cheaper fix(es) so that I can get it to pass emissions and get it plated and on the road before winter storage time.

Thanks for reading and any/all suggestions.

Sean

PS. I am only able to check later in the evening for replies, so don't take it personally if I can't get back to anyone right away until tomorrow night.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I know of a couple of tricks..

In my state, we can go thru DEQ as many times as we want, and only have to pay if we pass. So, if you don't have to pay for test runs, it's a bonus.

It helps to have a basic o'l school tune. Plugs and Oil, Cap & Rotor. Royal Purple oil is the shiznit. It's a bit expensive per quart, but it's in a whole different league as far as oils go.

Fill up with Super, Go on a long ass drive, and stop at a DEQ on the way back.

Try disconnecting one injector plug (one that not noticeable, or hide it somehow)

Lastly, there are oil/fuel additives that help if you're barely over the limits. Go to a local auto parts store and see if they have DEQ Pass additives.. Lucas Oil Restorer helps.

Try "Guaranteed to Pass Emissions" additive. Can't go wrong with a name like that. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Guaranteed-Pass-Emissions-Test-Formula/dp/B0007N1ZPY

Good luck on your mission.

·
Registered
637 Posts
iirc there is a write up on how to clean up your intake from all the carbon build up somewhere around here.

anyone?

·
Registered
637 Posts
lol....same here, but will have to wait do to it developed a new problem, my head is ticking loud and for some reason it does it louder in 1st gear. :32:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Hey all -

Pardon my newbness, I am new to anything other than domestic cars.

So here's my story. Decided to get my 85 Supra plated and took it for an Indiana emissions test. Passed easily on HC and CO but failed slightly on Nox.(3.09 vs 3.00) Apparently this is a new area that they are testing more stringently on.

I took the car to a repair shop that I had not used previously that was close to my house since they advertised emissions repairs.

Mechanic called me back late today and said that the reason for the high Nox reading is due to the EGR valve not functioning properly and that he believes that the catalytic convertor maybe faulty and that the orifice tube that runs under(thru) the intake manifold is carboned up. Sorta makes sense as this car has not been a daily driver for many years according to the previous owner.

Anyways, he says that the best fix would be to get a new manifold, but none are available. Next best would be a used one, but might encounter the same carboned up issued with that one as well. He recommends taking off the intake and sending it out to a machine shop to have it cleaned out. Total time involved is a day to a day and a half.

Oh and he also said he intake repair cost to be about $440.00 and a new catalytic convertor to be about $343.00. Seems kinda pricey to me and I don't exactly have that kind of money right now to spend on this car.

Looking for some cheaper fix(es) so that I can get it to pass emissions and get it plated and on the road before winter storage time.

Thanks for reading and any/all suggestions.

Sean

PS. I am only able to check later in the evening for replies, so don't take it personally if I can't get back to anyone right away until tomorrow night.
If he said the EGR was not working, then replace the EGR valve. About $170 at Rock Auto. The tube can be cleaned out with a coat hanger or some sort of rod. If that doesn't do it, then replace the cat converter and possibly the O2 sensor. Problem solved. What's this about the manifold? That makes no sense. You might be able to find a working used EGR and/or cat here on the board to save a few dollars. There are a few used cats laying around in peoples garages, I bet, working and replaced or removed for some reason or other.

Now, you didn't say you wanted to mess with the car to fool the readings on the testing machine and didn't care that the NOX readings were too high. A clogged cat and defective EGR can affect the way your car runs in a negative way, so that's also a consideration. You might not care, or you may want your car to run as well as possible. Unfortunately, dollars always seem to enter these discussions, but none of these problems are ridiculously expensive things to fix.

·
Registered
722 Posts
There is a small plug right in the center of the intake on top (Where the EFI letter are). It looks like a small freeze plug. Use a screwdriver or punch and tap on one edge of it so it spins, then pull it out. This will give you access to where the EGR passage plugs up and allow you to clean it. It is very common to plug at this spot, as the gas makes a 90 degree turn right there. Then reinstall the plug, possibly with a little silicone sealer around the edge.

After that, retest the EGR. That should bring NOx down well below passable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Easy fix

Go to pep boys and get a product called guaranteed to pass. It cost about $20 and it works or they will double your money back. Buys you 5 years if you have an 85 like myself. Check it out:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all who have replied. I printed out the post that Celica Fanatic listed and gave it along with the car to a mechanic buddy of mine tonight.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Steve O. - Thanks for the all the info. I will keep it all in mind if needed. And yes money does play into this as I am just back to work after being off for 10 1/2 months and the Supra is not a daily driven vehicle. I have always believed in trying the least inexpensive fixes first as long as they don't compromise the vehicle or safety in any way.

Sean C. - Your suggestion is exactly what my buddy is going to be doing tomorrow.

Scottie - I have read conflicting reports on the internet about CRC's Guaranteed to Pass product. I did consider that along with Seafoam to try before dropping any big bucks on the car.

Once again thanks to all for the replies and I will keep you posted as to how things go.

Sean

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't sure if you were more concerned with fixing the symptom (i.e. non-passing) or fixing the problem (replacing defective parts), and money is often an issue in which way we go, as much as we hate to admit it. I'm glad you got a wide range of responses to help you no matter which way you go. I did notice and post a relatively cheap catalytic converter from ebay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey all,

As I stated last evening, dropped the supra off by by buddy's house to have him work on it. I printed out the post from Driftingny85 that mentioned. He followed it and found that the intake was blocked and the EGR was completely blocked. He cleaned everything out and tested the EGR with a vacuum pump and all appears well and he was much cheaper than the repair shop.

I am taking it back for a retest in the morning and will let everyone know how things go!

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!

Sean

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
You're pretty close to passing Nox as it is. Run your fuel down to about 3 gallons of regular and add 5 or 6 cans of dry gas which is mostly alcohol and burns cooler which reduces Nox. Add gasolene immediately after you pass emission to avoid dissolving your exhaust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good news!!! With the cleaning out of the intake and the EGR valve the Nox readings went from 3.08 to .65. Yes .65. The way things were blocked the EGR was not functioning at all.

That being said, I passed the emissions test easily and I'm now set for two years.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Sean

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am trying to get my 85 to pass Arizona emissions. The HC,CO pass fine but NOx is high. I set the timing I thougth was 10 degrees but that test was hight over 7 g/mile. The limit is 3.5 grams/mile. I adjusted to 12 and its is 4.35. I am having a problem with my TPS. It is not seeing the throttle closed. This is causing the CEL not to blink when jumpered. I can get it to blink and set timing by jumpering the TPS plug E1 and Idl. Could a faulty TPS cause me to fail NOx. Also just recently the car will not drop idle below 900 rpms. I pulled the TPS off the car and it will not ohm out all the time. I think it is toast. I ordered another one off of Rockauto along with new plugs. Also I pulled the cat and checked it. It looks ok and I am able to see light through the honeycomb material.

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
EGR isn't working correctly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts