Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, im pretty sure this thing is toast, bot not positive. i can move it with the engine not running, but when i rev my car it sounds like a cessna. normal? any good tests? adjustments? or anyone have a good working on laying around?

Steve

·
Registered
'84 Dark Blue Converted to 5 Spd... '85 ..gradually acquiring parts to Turbo ... have 82 Engine
1,451 Posts
Fan Clutch...

Too weird...I just posted today about selling a brand new Fan clutch for a 5 M...don't know if there's be any difference for an '81...but I have the brand new one as well as other used ones.

PM me if interested....either the new one (current dealer price is $307.53 + tax Cdn)...selling for $150. or a used one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
you have pm

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone know if a mk2 will fit an mk1?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
so, im pretty sure this thing is toast, bot not positive. i can move it with the engine not running, but when i rev my car it sounds like a cessna. normal? any good tests? adjustments? or anyone have a good working on laying around?

Steve
Sounds normal to me! When it is cold you can stop it with your finger and you can feel it torquing, once the motor warms, it torques up and you rev it, it does suck like a Cessna. LOL.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
think so hey... its hard to turn and cannot get it to spin freely, its stiff, tried it yesterday, i do know that they do eventually pack it in and stiffen up. a broken clutch robs a ton of power..

·
Registered
463 Posts
Dump it for a Volvo radiator and electric fan from the local junk yard.:naughty:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how did you set up the electric fan? what temp sensor you use? what speed sensor? any specific vulva?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
think so hey... its hard to turn and cannot get it to spin freely, its stiff, tried it yesterday, i do know that they do eventually pack it in and stiffen up. a broken clutch robs a ton of power..
Humm. If it doesn't spin freely than must be toast. Regarding electric, Phil (Suprafanatic) has the electric fan set up for the MK1, remove the old shroud and she bolts right in. You should drop him a line for details. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you need a good used spare I have one you can have for $20. Or you could do an electric set up or buy the replacement clutch for around $70 from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Volvo 940/960. Really good setup, but it does not clear the factory air box. I am running a cone filter. Auto zone carries an electric fan relay that comes with a temp probe that slides between the fins of the radiator. Volvo fans push huge air. Probably only worth it if also looking to upgrade radiator capacity.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Seriously, check with Phil @ Adrenaline Motorsports.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Volvo 940/960. Really good setup, but it does not clear the factory air box. I am running a cone filter. Auto zone carries an electric fan relay that comes with a temp probe that slides between the fins of the radiator. Volvo fans push huge air. Probably only worth it if also looking to upgrade radiator capacity.
do you need to relocate mounting locations for the rad? i am really not a fan of the probe that sits in the fins, never a true temp reading, although i have found a bunch of options like a mounting pipe for a more oe sensor. the bottom center of my rad is very corroded so i need to replace it.

thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i went to pick n pull and pulled a fan clutch off an mk2, it seems to be in alot better condition, you can move it alot more freely. id still like to do an electric fan setup but this will work for a while.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and again.. if anyone cares, i got the mk2 fan clutch installed, its so quiet, you dont hear it, and when you rev even till redline it is still super quiet. seems to keep a constant speed. and even when you shut the car down it spins for a few seconds afterwards. got it for 11.99.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts