Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my car from the shop tonight, only $1100 dropped into it....
Friday I'll give it a nice coat of wax for the summer; it's a red 84, and a bit faded.
Does anyone have any favorite wax products they use?
And the black rear wing has a bit of sun fading as well.
Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,
Keith

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Mequiars #7 Glaze then top that with some Turtle wax emerald series paste.

·
Registered
991 Posts
KeithD said:
it's a red 84, and a bit faded.
Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,
Keith
Keith,

If you really want to bring the red back up to the best it has and you are willing to work a bit for it then I highly recommend a really good wash and dry, then Meguiars Quick Clay followed by Meguiar's Clear Coat Body Scrub and finished off with Mother's REFLECTIONS premium polish/wax. Your car will sparkle beyond your wildest imagination....course you'll be too tired to enjoy it till the next day... I do this full treatment to my car twice a year and wax it with Reflections monthly.

Of course, you can't forget to wash and wax the gas tank... :roll: Remember the guy behind you sees it and you want it to look good.... :oops:

Leslie

·
Registered
27 Posts
Klasse

Used Mothers/Meguires for over 16 years. Tried Zaino this past fall/winter (attracted too much dust). Finally settled and staying with Klasse. It's a polymer. Check out www.properautocare.com. Very happy with it. Super easy to apply and buff. Deep shine. But most of all, lasts much longer than Carnauba waxes.
Good luck
Al

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Yea, Zaino claims it doesnt attract dust....but it attracted more dust than any other product I have ever used. :roll:

3m prep stuff, and Pinnacle Souveran way for the garage queen.
3m prep stuff and One Grand Blitz wax for the daily drivers.

I tried Klasse too, but it didnt prove to look any better, or prevent swirls better than my 3m/Blitz combo.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If the red paint is sun faded you will first have to remove that oxidized paint/clearcoat before anything will make it look good. No amount of wax will restore luster to damaged paint.

First, you'll have to go over the entire car with a good polishing compound, NOT buffing compound. It can be done by hand and with a lot of elbow grease but an electrical polisher/buffer will perform the job in much less time. 3M makes some awesome polishing compound products. Use a 3M Perfect-It compound to remove the oxidation followed by a 3M Finesse-It compound to remove any scratches and swirls left behind by the Perfect-It. You MAY be able to get away with just using the Perfect-It compound by itself, depending on the severity of the paint. Experiment and see.

Only after you remove all the oxidized paint should you begin the steps of waxing. You will be absolutely stunned by the gleem of the car after removing the oxidized top coat!

I've used Mother's products for years and have always had great results...plus it smells good while working it. The 3-steps process is best (after you've used the polishing compound): 1-cleaner wax, 2-polishing (different than the more abrasive polishing compound), 3-wax.

As for the fading black top spoiler, there is nothing that can be done except a repaint. What you are seeing is the white, fiberglass part appearing from underneith the worn and faded black paint.

Sniffing fumes.
Scott

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Greg, I noticed you wax your wheels. That was something I was wondering about. I am getting new wheels in the next week or so, and was not sure what would be best to use. Thanks for the 3M tip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This advice comes from all of the waxes that I've put on my daily driver...my 1994 toyota tercel.

I have tried the Mothers' 3 step system-oxidation remover, swirl remover, and glaze, and then the pure carnuba wax. This is a great system and the car looks great, the only problem is that the water spots are unbearable when it gets wet after the fact. Even with their quick detailer, it's an uphill battle

Eagle 1's wet is awsome, but it doesn't seem to last as long.

The wax shoppe's glaze/carnuba gives the best visual "polish" of the previeous 3

3M system is absolutely fabulous. I used their 3 or 4 step system (courtesy of my buddy's stash) and that was equal or better than the wax shoppe's shine. He had a high speed wheel too (he is a professional detailer by trade) and we used it. By that account, maybe it is not a fair comparison.

Ok, here's the best system in my humble opinion. Formula 2001-wait before you all laugh outloud (I know, turtle wax anything sucks in general) the stuff actually shined and lasted the longest. I prepared the paint using the 3M clay and applied a coat of formula 2001 on my car. It was awesome. When my car got wet from a local sprinkler and baked in the sun all day long, the water spots came out nearly instananeously with some quick detailer (don't recall the brand, I have quite a few). It's cheap and very effective. I hope that was of assistance. Please let me know if you have better experiences using other products, because I would like to try them out too. Jason

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
NuFinish Polish(once a month) & Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax

And Meguiars Quick Detailer in between waxes.

·
Founding Member
6,406 Posts
Anybody remember some stuff called Polyglycoat? Toyota dealers back in the day were offering a treatment on new cars for I think it was like $250. It got a bad reputation and pretty much disappeared because consumers found out it took all of about 15 minutes to apply, cost mabe $6 a bottle and didn't last anywhere near two years as promised. Despite the way it was used by auto dealers to deceive consumers, for shear protection from the elements, it was a great product and outlasted any sort of wax. I used to do my cars about 4 times a year with it and never had a single water spot. My dad used it on the corporate jets he maintained and used to buy the stuff in 5 gallon cans and he'd fill a little bottle for me once in a while. After he retired, I couldn't get it anymore for several years and then it was introduced for consumers as sort of a kit with a polish, protectant and two applicator pads for like $17.95 and I bought one at Autozone. But now I haven't seen the kit in stores in a long time again. I did a yahoo search and it brought up a bunch of pages in Russian or long legal ramblings about consumer class action lawsuits. Anybody seen this stuff around recently?

Phil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts