Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone who has ever run their cars on a track knows the limitations that we run against with even upgraded brakes. Five years ago, when we could count the people at or over 300hp on one hand, this wasn't a large issue. In recent years, where the supra meets run 50:50 on attendees cars running at least 2x stock power, it becomes quite evident that we need to place attention on the braking system.

I will come out and say that the big-brake kits are fantastic. They excel at what they were made for, but often the price-point is hard to swallow. Thus the "other" brake mods. The late-year mx73 Cressida swap was discovered, and then the MPV/Q45 swap. This shows me that people are interested in getting their cars to STOP as well as they GO!

How brakes work: Brakes turn force-energy (speed) into heat-energy. Pads create friction which in turn transfers heat into the rotor where it dissipates into the air. Now find yourself on a spirited drive on a back road, or attending a track-day at your local road course. You create more heat than bleeds off into the air, rotors grow too hot, pads create less friction, you feel the dreaded "fade".

At this point I've seen the entire gambit of brake setups run on the track. From worn stock, to upgraded/slotted stock, to Cressida, to Q45. Each and EVERY setup runs into the same exact issue, heat buildup in the rotors. On a short track behind a 300+rwhp motor, the stock setup will fade within two 110-50 threshold brakings , Cressida in three or four, and the MPV/Q45 in half a dozen.

So, we've increased diameters, increased thickness, increased pad surface area. We're covering up the issue, compensating in ways that help, but do not solve the issue. We come back to braking 101, we can only bleed off so much energy as we can dissipate as heat into the air. We're capturing the energy, it's time for a blind date, "air meet rotor". This will GREATLY increase the braking ability over-time of the stock or upgraded setups, something much needed by those of us who enjoy a bit of track time (or plan to in the future). I still stand by the idea that your brakes should be upgraded with your motor. Moved up to a 7m-ge, move up to the Cressida setup. Have a boosted car, it's time for the MPV/Q45 swap. This kit will work along-side them, allowing you repeated braking performance necessitated by repeated braking.

I'm putting together methods of manufacturing that will allow us a true-fit forced air setup especially made for our cars. These will have, most importantly, low-clearance hub-center forced air nozzles, exact-fit funnels for our air dams, cut-to-length high-temp brake duct hose, and all attachment hardware needed.

Group buy pricing will be in the $150-200 range. This will be fully documented and tested on the track before anything is offered publicly.

Thoughts or ideas? Sound good, or too fancy/expensive for our cars?

EDIT
If you state "I'm in", let me know what type of brakes you currently run and what you would like to run, so I have an idea of the ratio of stock/cressida/q45's out there.

--BillyM

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
i'm in. If you don't do it, I will when i'm done school.

I would have to modify my intake to fit these though, hmm.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
im running the Z32/MPV fronts and brembo/KVRs in the rear. i think doing a rear upgrade would greatly help in stopping but as u said wont aid in the fade caused by excessive heat. the ducting would deff solve the problem. just make it look nice billy (ie. no ghetto crome AC duct work haha)

another issue (unless u have thought of this) would be 82-83 and 84-86 air dams??

? for guys running the MPV disk. have u found a good aftermarket rotor in slotted or drilled? long shot but 2 piece? thanks

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Oh Bryan that looks good.

Post some more pics!

Check this link on eBay. I don't know how good they are. You could also ask KVR, they might make a set for you.

I know someone who cross drilled his own discs for his truck.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
thanks rsdeo,

i was looking at those from R1 concepts for a while. in the end i just didnt think the quality was going to be that high so i purchased some premium rotors from advanced auto.

id like to do the matching Z32 rear calipers and then slotted rotors on all 4 corners if i can find them. time and money haha

ill get more pics tomorrow when i have time to work on the car. thanks

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
$97.20 a pair is pretty cheap and worth trying I think. $174.90 for a pair of premiums. Seems most people on other forums find them favourable. They make them for the stock Supra brakes as well.

Your calipers in silver look like they came off a Tundra, not a Z32. Cool.

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slotted/Drilled rotors go under the "appearance and bodykits" section...

Lets focus on forced air cooling of the front rotors. Those of you on MPV disks, are you running the stock dust shields? Would anyone be opposed to getting rid of the dust shields all together? How about relocating the calipers to the rear if it would make the kits cheaper?

--billyM

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Slotted/Drilled rotors go under the "appearance and bodykits" section...
Tell that to Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Mclaren... Slotted help in the rain and drilled on the track. It all depends how hard you drive on the street.

You are right, now back to business.

Lets focus on forced air cooling of the front rotors. Those of you on MPV disks, are you running the stock dust shields? Would anyone be opposed to getting rid of the dust shields all together? How about relocating the calipers to the rear if it would make the kits cheaper?

--billyM
I know someone swapped the RA28 struts from left to right and vice verse using camber plates, but has anyone done it with the stock MA6x struts? It would be a cool conversion with very minimal parts required.

Last time I looked at a new Ferrari it had no dust shields on the front. Dean's race car has a setup for brake cooling.

·
Registered
655 Posts
re:

Billy,

when you say "forced air" do you mean by convection as the car moves through the air, or by that provided by a fan? Do you have any links to similar kits offered for other cars?

Sonny

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Most likely forced air with a fan setup. The fans themselves can easily run that much, not to mention the Fire Retardant tubing.

I'm very interested. Would be willing to trash stock brake shroud. Currently running stock calipers and rotors. Wanting to switch to Z32 NA '90 calipers with MPV rotors (would most likely go with slotted/drilled)

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
r u trying to make smthg like...

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
84ptype, it should have flexibility needed to go under or around anything fouling it as far as intercooler piping goes. I have access to a number of turbo cars all running different piping options, so it will be thoroughly tested.

Slotted help in the rain and drilled on the track.
Ok, your car your choice, but this isn't the place for the discussion.

I know someone swapped the RA28 struts from left to right and vice verse using camber plates, but has anyone done it with the stock MA6x struts?
No one has done it yet, but it will be done on mine, and may be required on all for the kit (we will see). As for the struts, it should have ZERO to do with the camber plates, more to do with "does the steering arm foul the caliper" and "are the brake lines long enough". It doesn't appear to be a concern with the Q45's, Cressida and Stock TBD, they may have to be packaged with George's one-piece brake line or something...

-------------------------------------------

Billy,
when you say "forced air" do you mean by convection as the car moves through the air, or by that provided by a fan? Do you have any links to similar kits offered for other cars?
Sonny
Sonny, Rusty, force would come from the pressure differential between the front air dam and the wheel area. Air would be directed by a close-tolerance nozzle that meets the rotor inner diameter. Fans, while supplying a good solid 10mph breeze when stopped, will restrict flow by almost 50% when running greater than 60mph, and almost 80% at 100mph.

Here is a link to a similar product to what I plan.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TMSBRAKE46
http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.com/Custom Brake Duct Kit.html

Zuprax... No, I am not trying to make a formula one car. Go to google, click "images", and type in "brake duct".

--billyM

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
No one has done it yet, but it will be done on mine, and may be required on all for the kit (we will see). As for the struts, it should have ZERO to do with the camber plates, more to do with "does the steering arm foul the caliper" and "are the brake lines long enough". It doesn't appear to be a concern with the Q45's, Cressida and Stock TBD, they may have to be packaged with George's one-piece brake line or something...

--billyM
I understand what you are saying about the camber plates, I just remember suprafiend used the RA28 struts and camber plates. I can't remember why. I've been talking about this mod with another local member for sometime. He wants to do it when parts and time permit.

I think it's a super idea, especially with the cooling ducts. I will keep an eye out for something that could be used as scoops. Preferably in plastic.

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I plan to have the ducts custom-made, thermoformed or injection molded to perfectly fit the air-dams, and offer a 3" flange for the hose.

These will obviously be different for pre84 vehicles, but all will attach with plastic body clips if I have my way.

--billyM

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I will say, for those that are wondering, that the BBK doesn't need anything like this.

I'm putting down more than 360 to the wheels (more next year with the 700s) and didn't once have an issue at a track day with the brakes.

Just so people with the BBK know. As a side note I run the coleman 'heavy duty' rotors for the kit and hawk HPS pads.

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I figured as much...

These are for folks who want BBK-like performance out of a $350 setup (cooling ducts included), and replacing $35 rotors and $30 pads after they wear down.

--BillyM

·
Registered
871 Posts
I will say, for those that are wondering, that the BBK doesn't need anything like this.

it's true BBK doesn't need it but who know, this could be a little upgrade and match perfect score with air duct...

1 - 20 of 67 Posts