Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I like wearing Speedos like Dave Shepherd does poolside

Votes: 3 4.5%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 6 months of searching for a decent replacement to our discontinued speedo cable, I've come to the conclusion that there just is NOT a suitable replacement for our cars. I didn't have a large cross section of vehicles to choose from considering Toyota started going away from cable driven speedometers in the early to mid 90's, but needless to say none of them worked. So I turned to the after market, hoping to score a good replacement for our cars. Turns out, the closest cable that is listed to fit our cars is over a foot longer than needed. This creates all types of issues considering the exhaust is routed near the cable itself. So I had a member send me a burnt up stock cable to help this process. I have a shop local to me that can rebuild our speedo cables for a very reasonable cost. This got me thinking, so I had him do one up. It came out great. I had him do a second, he was able to reuse the housing on that one. All in all, I'm feeling comfortable offering this service to forum members, but I need some feedback. I've told quite a few members over the last year that our speedo cables are no longer available. I think I've found the solution. So, please participate in the poll, I would really appreciate the feedback.

Keep in mind that having a speedo cable is pretty important in our cars...without it the ECU has no input from the speed sensor in the speedometer head, meaning that your engine will not run in closed loop, robbing you of pow-AH!

Initial estimates on cable replacement is about $60 + shipping (it might end up being a little cheaper)

Thanks for your time!! I'll run this for a few weeks and see what comes of it

·
Registered
464 Posts
yea im in, got a feeling mine aint goin to last all that much longer. how much we talkin bout??

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Added G...whoops. Please feel free to participate in the poll at top. K-thx :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I participated all right.

In all seriousness though, I had the same shop you're using to do this, I'm assuming, repair my speedo cable already. Good guys, good prices, and I was very happy with their work.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I've got an extra speedo cable hanging in the garage but I think the availability of a repair service for these is a great idea. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
My able just crapped out on me last week and the driving experience is garbage. Having no power / miss-proper shifts (automatic) is enough to drive you crazy... :iocrunks2:

Great job finding that service btw! True dedication.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Voted: I would be interested in this service in the future if my cable breaks

I didn't know that this would be a problem - thanks for solving it before I need it Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mark,
What about the 90 elbow that comes out of the 5 speed transmission. I find that they fail about as much as the main cable. Are they available still?

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Richard,

The speedo cable adapter is still available and they run about $70. I wanted to offer the speedo cable replacement service because of the fact that Toyota discontinued our cable, suitable replacement aftermarket cables are non existent, and I've been hearing that finding cable repair service around the country is pretty difficult. The shop that does these for me is a second generation family owned business that has been doing this line of work for his whole life. He does great work and can even build them from scratch if needed.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
mine broke well a day after it was put on the road..lol so i am in need of one for sure! and yes i voted. speedo by the poolside, i feel sorry for anyone at that pool :eek4dance: :ugh: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mark;

if you need someone to handle Canadian Sales I'd be interested in trying to round up a few to send your way to stock...cheers.
That sounds good G...I'll keep in touch. I need to generate a couple of cores here local before pulling this off. I think I have one already.

There seems to be enough interest to get this going, I'll nail down a price with my speedo guy. I also have made sure to order a few speedo adapters in, for anyone that wants to give their speedo cable a complete makeover.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
does this apply to mk1 cables too?
I should be able to do MkI cables, but they will have to be on a 'send it in/repair/send back' basis. I won't be doing an exchange program on those.

I talked with my guy and he says that he can continued to make these happen. Most cables will only need to be rebuilt, but we'll be able to reconstruct one with new pieces if required. Reconstructing a new cable is a little pricey (about the last replacement cost of the OG cable). What we'll be able to do is flat rate the repairs/reconstructions with the replacement program. I'm just trying to figure out a core system...either charging people (which I DON'T want to do) or having people send their cables in and paying just for the cable replacement (what I'm leaning toward, but adds the transit shipping time obviously). Thoughts?

·
Registered
379 Posts
i'd say to protect yourself from not getting a cable in return, have the old cable sent to you and send out a rebuilt cable, in that order.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i'd say to protect yourself from not getting a cable in return, have the old cable sent to you and send out a rebuilt cable, in that order.
Yeah, prob better than trying to scour the country side for another core. I should have all the details worked out later this week.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts