Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in the process of restoring my 86 and i would like to know if the rubber piece between the fender and the flare is glued to both or just one?
It looks to me that it is glued to the flare. what do i use to reattach this in the future and what happens if i break one of the studs while trying to take the flare off the fender? is there a way to replace this? from what i can tell it does not look like it.

jeremy

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
i'm going to need to know this answer as well, as i plan -somehow- the elusive L-type fender flare swap - WITHOUT swapping front fenders :shock: :shock:

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Its glued to just the flare. When replacing, try to remove as much of the old double-sided tape strip as possible and remove the residue with gumout or mineral spirits. Glue it back on by applying a thin layer of 3m black weatherstrip adhesive to the edge of the flare. Wipe up any that oozes out immediately with mineral spirits. Don't use the clear emblem adhesive that comes in a similar tube because it can damage fresh paint. Never broken any studs removing the flares but I figure they could be drilled out very carefully and replaced by probably applying some epoxy and inserting a new stud.

Phil D.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Slip, it'd be nice if you could take pics and write out the basics of what you do just in case it works. That way we can have a writeup on one of the ways to do it if it's possible.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
i won't be doing it for a long while, first we have to get the car running reliably, then rust repair, THEN we can look at the flares.

and yes, for that i'll produce a guide IF it's possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts