Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i was talking to a russian mk2 owner. He has done some intresting fiberglass work on his car. Among other things he has made front fenders fron fiberglass.
The thing i am raising a post about is I was asking him could he make rear quarters from fiberglass and he will. He wants a minimun of 5 orders to make it worth his while. I will he ordering so he needs 4 more. If anyone is intrested let me when there are 5 orders i will post his details paypal payment he thinks pricing will be 300 dollars for driver and passanger which i think is very well priced

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will get photos of other work from him and post tomorrow. But as he has not made the rear quarters before i cant get a pic. He wants the orders before he puts the time into making a mould. I badly need a passanger quarter but i will be getting a set of front arches and rear quarters from him.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shipping i dont know yet i will get a estimated weight from him. i saw pictures of a dashboard for a bmw he did it looked amazing he is also a mk2 supra owner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Frank,

If you have trouble finding buyers, it might help to post it in the group buy section on these forums since you need at least 5 people.

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
I would highly recommend against fiberglass quarters actually. Everything else sounds great, but composite quarters rarely work out right. First off, your quarter skin is an integral part of the unibody. You can't cut out the metal underneath, the composite isn't strong enough to replace it. So you generally have to install composite quarter skins over the original steel. This means you still need to repair the rust underneath, and replace the rusted out sections with patch work. Just cutting the rust out will leave the car weakened. Most people who get composite quarters are doing it to get aftermarket style ones that have wider clearances for big wheels. We already can fit 10 inch wheels and 285 tires with careful size selection, so I don't really see the point of having these made. Also, everyone I know who has fitted and painted fiber glass quarters to their car has had them ripple on them after a year of sun exposure. Bonding FG to steel rarely seems to work out well (different expansion rates, bonding issues, etc).

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'd be interested in other fibreglass parts, but I think SupraFiend raises a good point about the structural and compatibility problems of the rear quarters. If your Russian buddy is willing to make more parts including the hatch, count me in. Shipping from Russia ought to be cheaper for me, too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this is an older thread but anyone making the rocker mouldings i seen someone post about making the out of carbon fiber that would be something id be interested in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts