Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping I might get responses from some of you that have the Fidanza lightweight flywheel. How do you like it? Advantages? Disadvantages? I have heard that running a puck style clutch is not recommended, I am looking at a button style...I would be ok, right?

I would appreciate anyone's comments, even if you do not have this particular item, but are familiar with how they perform. Does the performance matter if you are running N/A or turbo? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Works great. The only disadvantage I've seen is that you can't drive around at low RPMs (like 1500 RPM) in gear without giving yourself whiplash. I can't see why you couldn't run any clutch you wanted behind one. A super touchy clutch might be a pain to run with a lighter flywheel.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The consensus seems to be don't run an unsprung hub on a lightweight flywheel or the clutch chatter is enormous.

Christian

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've been running a Fidanza flywheel for almost 2 years now. I can't tell you what performance gains I got from it, since I installed it along with my beastly 6M, so I don't have a before-and-after. The quality is top notch, however. I don't know if it's standard for aluminum flywheels or not, but I really like the fact that you can replace the steel facing on the contact area.

I would recommend a sprung hub 7M NA clutch disk (6 springs instead of 4 on the 5M), and a *full disk* instead of puck style. I ended up with a puck clutch despite all the times I told Scott Mech that I needed a full disk, and had *tons* of chatter. It's somewhat smoother now, but it still gets annoying. For a while there, it was so bad that I loathed driving my car. That's not a fun situation to be in...

Aluminum flywheels are supposed to be great in NA cars, and even better in turbo cars - I've heard that they reduce spool up time. Some folks have reported increased engine braking abilities, but as for me, my engine braking reduced significantly, although this may be because of my engine rather than the flywheel.

oh, email me if you want to see pics.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
wouldn't installing a lightned flywheel hurt?? we are looking at and externally balanced engines in the "M" class right?? i was told to steer away. but i also thought.. if i had my engine balanced with the flywheel after the engine was built. then i think it would be all right? just my .02 and my in theory question.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hmm, haven't heard that one before... I thought all the balancing was done by the harmonic balancer, which is incorporated into the crank pulley.

I haven't had any problems or noticed undue vibration, and I've been using the flywheel for almost 2 years now. Others have been using them even longer.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
M series engines are all "internally" balanced. There is no counterweight on the flywheel like a 350 or something.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Voyn238 said:
Some folks have reported increased engine braking abilities, but as for me, my engine braking reduced significantly, although this may be because of my engine rather than the flywheel.
I'd think the reduced engine braking would be the norm. What about less snap off the line? And difficulties doing hill starts and less power going up hills? These are other disadvantages I've heard are common with lighter flywheels.

Also, wouldn't a 2jzge clutch be a better choice over a 7mge one?

·
Registered
272 Posts
>>
I'd think the reduced engine braking would be the norm. What about less snap off the line? And difficulties doing hill starts and less power going up hills? These are other disadvantages I've heard are common with lighter flywheels.
>>

I don't have any problems with hills, but on a stock motor, you might have issues. Not sure. The car will definitely move off the line, but I don't know how much of it to attribute to the flywheel. My 6M is putting out 225 ft lbs at the wheels, after all...

>>
Also, wouldn't a 2jzge clutch be a better choice over a 7mge one?
>>

Probably so - but will they fit?

·
Registered
412 Posts
i like light whiehgt fly wheel's but there is one issue when mixed with meatl based cloutch they tend to weld cause they can not disapte heat good so you have cahnce of waring the frition plate or weld it liek mentioned above i ahve light white one and not goig to use it just going to use my light wheit steel one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts