Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short needed something for the snow and the ability to haul stuff. Wanted a 89-95 but, only four of the twelve owners I contacted responded back, two of which changed their minds about selling! So this came up, a well maintained 95.5 Tacoma w/ 218k miles - 3.4 4-cam V6 4x4 xtra cab. Would like to loose the 3" lift and find some stock SR-5 rims though..

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Nice Wade! Sometimes I wish that I'd gotten the V6 as well. I've got a 99 with the 4cyl.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
An extreme wash/wax/detail from Wade...shocker :)

Other than the seat wear, yeah it looks like it has less than 100k on it for sure. Nice score, the 3.4 is a good motor, but the pre-'98s did have head gasket issues. Surely with that many miles, it has been addressed on this truck. Nice score!

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, 100 miles later, this thing hasn't leaked, doesn't use coolant, and everything works except the horn.:D

Rob, nothing wrong with the 2.7!

Yea, Mark there was super clean 200k '86 blk, xtra cab etc.. for 6k - it was the Marty Mcfly truck lol. It would have been nice but, i paid the same $ for this one. Of the last 3 body styles, the Tacoma is my least favorite though.:laugh:

Greg, the paint was oxidizing some. I did spend 4 hours buffing/detailing the exterior. Didn't touch the motor or interior.

Eric, I've never heard of the 5vzfe having BHG issues. The 3vz (3.0) does blow HG's. People are swapping these into older yota trucks like crazy - very similar to 5m to 7m swaps.

Couple more pics

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sweet truck i love that body style i "settled" for a 92 std cab thou. lol Glad its so clean usally "kids" put the cheeper body lift on and beat the hell out of them.
This coming from a kid who beats the sh*t out of his and its stock. :D

Have fun this winter!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Eric, I've never heard of the 5vzfe having BHG issues. The 3vz (3.0) does blow HG's. People are swapping these into older yota trucks like crazy - very similar to 5m to 7m swaps.
I have one in my '98 4Runner, and while I have no personal experience with this problem, I've been told by a couple different people that the '96 and '97 4Runners still had BHG issues even with the new 3.4 and by '98 they finally put in a revised gasket which led to a TSB for '96 and '97s which were the newer bodystyle and newer motors, but same old 3.0 BHG problems.

My 4Runner is at 140k and it's good to see a strong 3.4 like yours on the road. I don't think I can ever get rid of the old girl, still very trusty but it does need new tires. Here's a pic from when she used to live in the garage...kicked to the driveway since the MK2 came around. :(

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Eric, it was a recall actually...it was called XO1 IIRC...only 95-Jan 97 motors. They were real gravy jobs for the techs back in the day...most guys could bust out a 3.4 in three hours less time than a 3.0 but they paid only an hour less. Head gaskets were redesigned because of leaking coolant externally down the block at cylinders 1 and 6.

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks!

So, Mark I take this thing was probably reworked under the recall? I know about the frame recall but can't find anything but stock black paint..

Eric, that's a nice 4Runner and I want the wheels.:)
Did alot of reading about 5vzfe -> 89-95 swaps never heard anything about it. Was considering buying buying 3vz truck w/ a bad motor for cheap just for the swap.

Also, the T-belt was done at 190k and the clutch last year! Should be able to get another 100k out of it! And.. this Tacoma was bought in Tacoma rofl..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts