Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahh yes... my 1 1/2 long journey is finally over!
I've been attending UTI in CA for 23-three week long classes or "phases" as they are known by.
I've been going for 6 hours a day 5 days a week waking up a 5am, driving an hour each way to school, and getting home about 1pm so I am VERY happy to be done with that madness.
Gas was costing me a fortune and I lost 60% of my hours at work, so money has been super tight. Now I'm to try to find a real job and build up my collection of tools/ car parts.
It's a great feel graduating school! I left today with a 3.9 GPA, a S.O.C. award (student of the course), and was on the Deans Honor list! :D

I know a lot of people on forums hate on UTI and say its a waste of time and especially money... but I went into school WANTING to learn (and i did... a lot!), NOT because my parents pushed me through a post high school course, so I have a different opinion on UTI. Not to mention that with my families finacial situation, half of the school was paid for in grants, and the other half covered by low interest loans. I can go back at anytime as long as I'm alive and take courses over, or take newly added classes (like hybrids, etc), talk to teachers, and have access to job location help. All for free.

Anyway, I'll now have more time to work on my Cressida, work on my future mkii mag, and do some tinkering on a few supra/cressida related projects. Life is good!!!
:thumbsup:

·
Founding Member
6,525 Posts
Congrats! I don't know anything about UTI, but I do know that you only get out of a school what you put into it. School just makes the information and resources available, its up to you to absorb as much of it as you can. Just remember now, cressida projects and a mk2 mag are not going to pay back those student loans, so get out there and scour the pavement for a job and don't let the state of the economy get you down. There are jobs out there, we just had a couple of new people start this week, one of them a recent trade school grad in our parts room so there you go - it CAN BE DONE!

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's great. congratulations!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Sweet mann
Was wondering some opinions about uti from people that went there
I am planning on going within the next year or so i cant wait
im going to the Philadelphia one so
But congrats man good luck

·
Registered
472 Posts
Woot!!!

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
congrats, good luck finding a job. I personally know a hand full of people that have graduated from UTI only to end up doing minor work like tune-ups at a shop.

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
Everyone has to start somewhere zank. Congrats.
Yep. A good friend went to a tech school, started at a Dodge dealer as the low man. Shortly after he became a flat rate guy, and moved to transmissions. He absolutely mastered the transmissions and started raking in $1500+ net a week. Did that for a few years, then bought into a local shop as a 50/50 partner. He now makes over 100k /yr and owns a biz that has appreciated a good $500k. He lives 5 min from work and works an 8 hour day. Not bad. People spend 8 years in college, racking up 80k in debt to make 1/2 what he does.

Congrats, and good luck!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Congratulations! I hope to be there in about a year myself. I'm not going to UTI, but at CC locally. I've heard mixed reports (good and bad) from all kinds about UTI and Wyotech. But I honestly believe in what Phil said. You get out what you put into it. With your GPA it looks like you tried pretty hard and got quite a bit out of it. Just do everything you can to keep the knowledge fresh in your head.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys!
You know, when I first started off, there were about 65 kids that started when I did. I will refer to them as my "class" even though the individual classes are much smaller.
UTI takes in a new class every 3 weeks (aka 1 phase), and pumps out the graduates at the same time for the morning class, afternoon class, and night class. So you can start up at any time in the year, any time of day. But today I was one of 29 to graduate... That means 36 students in my class either failed a class/s (must re-phase the course) or dipped out for various reasons.
My point is that the program is actually quite difficult, and demanding both mentally and physically.
You get graded based on 3 criteria: Lab scores, Test scores, and Professionalism (this encompasses Appearance, Tardiness, and Behavior)
I go to AutoZone all the time wearing my school uniform and get snide remarks like "have fun paying off that loan" or "you should drop out like I did while you have a chance" and garbage like that. I just look them square in the eye and ask them why they went in the first place. I have yet to hear a "reason" worth my time. All I get is, "I had to go to a school or I'd get kicked out" or my favorite was "My grandma said she would buy me a car if I went to school"
So yeah you're going to find lots of kids doing only tune-ups and oil changes, but hopefully they aspire to move up like I do. If you doubt them at all, ask him/her what they're Professionalism grade was... I doubt it was half way decent.
I have friends going into Mercedes, Jag, Porsche, and a few into Ford right out of the box. No previous experience, all on how they presented themselves.
As the year went on and the slackers weeded out, I made 29 great new friends that helped each other stay sharp and hone each other's skills.
Yes times got tough and I second guessed if I had made the right choice but I knew I couldn't turn back this far into the game and I'm glad I didn't.
Two years ago I honestly could only change my oil.
4 months ago my 5m blew and I dropped in a 6m in a driveway by myself with full understanding of each components operation. I'm not saying I'm amazing because it IS a direct swap, but that is a giant accomplishment for me and my parents doubted I could get it running.
Yes I will be starting off at the bottom where ever I go from here, but I have a great advantage to climb higher than the high school grad next to me.

Remember that a mechanic can replace a broken part, but a technician can determine the root cause and prevent it from happening again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts