Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
yegrbomb
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Bought a 2JZGTE-VVTi a few weeks back and it is going into my 61 E100. For you young whippersnappers, that's an old Ford van. Just completing the engine/tranny mounts in the frame and then I can bolt it down, so I'm going to be looking to some 2J gurus for some guidance with a standalone installation. Thanks in advance, love the site!

WP

·
Registered
47 Posts
More than likely the only one in the world!
I'd be worried about someone stealing the turbo.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The van is in Edmonton visiting from Calgary, my neighbor's son came to help her move. It's funny that the garages have pretty much the same siding.

I'm southside too, close to Whyte Ave.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Tranny mounts, tranny mounts............ the hazards of searching for legit help on the internet. Too funny!

When E 100 is up and running it would be a fascinating show to see you drag race the chevy.

·
yegrbomb
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok...so I've been reading what I can find, but I have not found an easy answer. Because this will be a stand alone swap, am I correct to assume that the big black 'box' that came with the engine is not enough to make it drive able in it's current state?

Do I understand correctly, that I need to buy a 'stand alone' ECU(like Megasquirt) to control the big black 'box' and tranny, hence the term.....stand alone??? Sorry, it seems simple, but I want to make sure I'm connecting all the right dots.

OR, is there a way to rewire the big black 'box' to make it run?

WP

·
Super Moderator
8,262 Posts
Is that the box in the engine the ECM is mounted in the engine bay on the Aristo? Usually they don't come with those. The only thing you need to be careful with on the VVTi motors is some of the cars they came with had engine immobilizers. Without the key and module you'll never get it to start. You can google the part numbers to see which ECU you have. You can always buy the ECU without the immobilizer for yours.

·
yegrbomb
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SilverMk2, I'm not sure. I bought it through JDM and I got it on a crate. I'll have another look at it tonight. Thanks for the key heads up. If the smaller black box is the ECM, then barring the key issue and missing sensors, would it start and run?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Post up a pic of your engine computer. There should be 5 plugs all grouped together. If you have a 6th plug to the right of those 5, your ECU has an immobilizer built in. See below. The top box has an immobilizer, and the bottom does not. I have been able to bypass the immo on a 1jz ecu using a kit from Russia.

(taken from my.is forums)

·
Registered
15,021 Posts

·
yegrbomb
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks!!

So, I've started drawing out my wiring schematics to tie 1960's to 1990's....Do I understand the pinouts correctly, in that the ECU does not control the starter at all? It appears there are inputs from the ignition switch to tell the ECU the key position, but no output to the starter solenoid. Is the starter solenoid controlled directly from the ignition switch?

WP

1 - 20 of 35 Posts