Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15,003 Posts
Not on non vvti, and according to Wilbo's VVTI pinout, Either plug F59 pin 2 or BF2 pin 8 go to the starter. I think it is BF2 pin 8 that goes to the starter itself from the ECU. A continuity test would confirm.

The other, FS9 pin 2 is the STA signal. This would be the wire from your key that normally engages the starter. This way when you turn the key to start the car, the ECU is aware it is start time and then triggers the output to the starter to start the car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
According to the fist page of wiring diagrams on that page, the key engages the starter through a relay and does not go through the ecu.

When the key is turned to start, the power is supposed to go through a fuse, an interlock (i imagine this could just be a switch on the shifter), a junction point (which also sends power to the STA pin on the ECU), and then to the relay coil that energizes the starter solenoid. So depending on how much wiring your swap came with, you would ultimately have to send power from the ignition switch through a relay to the starter. On my 1jz-vvti, I didn't wire anything to the STA pin on the ECU and it has no issues.

·
Registered
15,003 Posts
I didnt scroll down to look at the diagram. I just recall on my non vvti, all I did was apply power to STA to engage the starter on the stock harness/ecu. Looking at it now, looks like it is tied together with a junction, which could be the case on the non vvti. I never dug very far into it. just enough to start it to make sure the engine was good, then sold all the stock stuff I didnt plan to use, harness, ecu, ignitor, coils, injectors, turbos, hydro water pump setup, map sensor, etc...

I highlighted the route for the starter signal from the switch, to ecu and starter and circled the junction in red. This is likely internal on the engine harness. So then from the diagram above, both of those pins get the same starter signal from your starter switch.

·
yegrbomb
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It would seem my understanding was not too far off. Part of the wiring I also needed to figure out, was also how to make the air ride pressure switch control the AC pump and one step further......I wanted an auto start feature. The control philosophy is such that in auto, when the pressure switch calls for air, it will hit the starter, provide power to the ECU and engage the AC pump, then shut off when the tank pressure is satisfied. After about 3 drawings, I think I got it figured out. Let me know what you guys think.

WP

·
Super Moderator
8,143 Posts
I'm confused why you'd want the air suspension to control the engine AC compressor? A simple relay can do that though. Getting the AC pump to work on the 2JZ is relatively simple the compressor clutch just needs to see 12V and the clutch will engage. Most cars just run the 12V to the clutch thru the AC switch in the dash and a low pressure switch in the lines somewhere (and usually and evaporator temp switch in newer cars).

You don't need to use the factory ECU to run the starter. I doubt anyone with a MK2 and a 2JZ swap does. Everything newer than a Mk2 supra from Toyota use the ECU to control this to function as a neutral start switch.

Things to watch out for with 2JZ wiring. NSW needs to be wired correctly on the auto ECUs or you'll get a very soft rev limiter. The fuel pump control circuit needs a little bit of care. Most of the other stuff is just a case of wiring the right thing up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The A/C compressor is just an air compressor, and I imagine he wants it to fill the air tank for the suspension. A lot of off-road guys use an A/C compressor to fill a tank so that they can use air tools and inflate tires when they need to.

·
yegrbomb
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Apalov13, you guessed it. I want to use the A/C compressor as an air compressor for my air ride system as I will have 2-60 AC...(two windows down at 60mph). I know I don't need the ECU to start it, but when the ECU knows when it's starting, it can adjust timing, fuel ratio, etc when it's hot, seems functional, but if it's not common in swaps...one less wire to do.

WP

·
yegrbomb
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got some major progress done on #yegrbomb. Just about completed the wiring, air ride plumbing done, brakes done and wired up the ECU for it's first start. After this video was made, I was able to drive it into a car show last weekend. It was so rewarding! Can't wait until #yegrbomb is complete so I can give it a real run for it's money!!

WP

21 - 35 of 35 Posts