Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my first project car, a 1982 Celica Supra MkII and I'm looking for any advice/tips on what should be addressed. The car has been sitting untouched for five years.
Aside from a whole load of bodywork and a paint job, I don't have much clue about what I'm doing. But I am good with my hands and I am machine-savvy. I don't need to have it be pristine right now, I'm only looking to get it into enough shape to have some fun with it. just So, does anyone have any tips on:

• Finding leads for solid interior parts
  • Finding leads for new body parts (especially the hatch)
  • Maybe swapping the 5mge for a Chevy LS that I have?
  • Adding turbos to the 5mge instead?
  • Anything I should be looking for under the car that could present me danger
  • Replacing rotted-out floorboards
  • Finding a builder's manual
  • Literally anything else that you might think would give me an easier time or be any bit useful to me
I think it's super cool that there's a forum with this many members just for the Celica Supras. I'm super pumped to be joining the club, and anything you guys can tell me about my new project is very valuable to me!

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
The '82 has an external fuel pump. The sending unit has a plate over it and you should take a peek in there to see if the gas tank is full of dirty rust. You will need fresh fuel, anyway. Water will collect at the BOTTOM of the tank. There is a gas tank bung to drain out that nasty fuel. You will need a fuel pump and a little tiny filter/screen.

SB Chev swaps have been done on our forum. It's a SQUEEZE! Headers will be a large issue.
Place a WTB post for your '82 parts. We have 'em.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
I would say that here is the best organized place for these cars. There is also facebook that have a couple of groups, but nothing compares to here.
82 engine wise is the most difficult to fix and maintain, because it is a only one year with this timing vacuum advance. Body panels and trims are almost non existant. If you can find a parts car that have had a crash, that might be your best option.
You can post in the WTB sub forum.
Rear control arm are known to rust inside out, so take a good look at them.
Swapping an LS in would radically transform the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the forums! From what I've seen, the hatch along with most of the other body parts are extremely hard to find in good condition. However, Raptor Racing sells a carbon fiber hatch. It's not cheap but you definitely get what you pay for. I bought a carbon fiber hatch a few years ago and it's totally worth it.

Keep your eye on ebay and on these forums for people selling manuals. They pop up every now and then. There's a big green toyota supra shop manual that describes how to carry out almost any maintenance you would need to do on these cars. However I believe for '82 they split the shop manual into different sections where each section is its own book. There's an online TSRM which is extremely helpful. You can find it here:

It's for an '86 but a lot of the information there is still helpful when working on your '82.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you're curious about LS swaps, these two threads should be your bible.
Those two did it in different ways, Elks sits farther back IIRC but it is harder to do that way. Both of these cut and boxed the front subframe to some degree, as the oil pan hangs down. But I think (have not tried/verified) this oil pan might not need subframe cutting
Wrapping the headers around the steering shaft is a pain.
t56 is expensive, but basically fits right in, you just have to hammer out a couple spots in the tunnel for the top ears.
You might need to look at replacing the diff, however I've talked with people who swore if you got the stock plate one rebuilt it would hold 400+ TQ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts