Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first supra its an 84 celica supra and i pulled the 5m out and im starting to fix up the 1jz motor i got and clean up the body and engine bay for the car and get the tranny all set. if anyone has any insite for me it would be very helpful as its my first supra and im not used to working with these cars i had a camaro before this but everything is very different wish me luck

·
Registered
313 Posts
Good luck!! Post up some pictures so we can see your work!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Have you inspected under the car? The pics show considerable corrosion - before you consider a swap - make sure the control arms, and all suspension components are solid. Brakes should be looked at / upgraded.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah under the car is solid im redoing the brakes cause they were rusted and doing all the lines also gonna do a full suspension cause the car was sitting for a while i was told but thanks for the advice i could use everything i can get

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Welcome! Good luck with your 1J project man! Where is Ridge, NY? What kinda Camaro did you have before?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its on long island and i had a 91 camaro rs nothing special had a 305 in it but i build a 350 for it then sold it and got the celica supra :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Nice, Have you ever heard of NYTHIRDGEN.com? We're a Third Gen F-Body club that's NYC/LI based. Check us out if you're still into Third Gen Camaros.

Is your Supra 5 speed? Are you using the stock 5 speed parts with the JZ swap?

·
Registered
456 Posts
wow looks like we are doing simmular projects... Im one day going to do the 1jz, but at the moment i got a good deal on a fresh 5m, and decided to sink the extra $ into suspension, brakes, and intirror....
Ive had very good luck with most the vendors here so far... I put in a very large order to raptor racing for all the poly bushings, brake lines, shocks, struts, springs ect...
they even have a great big brake kit (above my budget at the moment)

rust dosent look that bad on the car... farily typicall from what ive been seeing...

only advise i have (from my limited experence so far) is to buy the PB blaster in the gallon jug with the pump spray bottle.... way cheaper in the long run than all the spray cans your going to use!!!

good luck, keep us posted

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i never signed up to the thirdgen forum but ive been on it its legit and yeah i still love third gens i have 4 or 5 buddies with them too so we would usually cruise around together ill let them know about it too and if i get another one ill deff get on it. and the supra is a 5 speed i was gonna use the same tranny the w58 but looks like i need a new bellhousing to bolt up to the 1jz if i could find an r154 for cheap id pick that up but moneys short for me.

and yeah i was gonna keep the 5m motor but it was shot had no compression and cylinder 4 was frozen and just too much to rebuild it and my buddy sold me the 1jz for cheap so i figured why not and my interior is pretty much emaculate so i dont gotta worry about that but ill deff look at them for the suspension and brakes and keep ya posted on whats going on thanks bro

1 - 10 of 10 Posts