Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I’m pretty sure my flasher relay just blew in my 83 Supra because the hazards and turn signals don’t light up and I was wondering if a 83-88 Camry relay would work. If not where could I get a replacement part? (Fuses were checked and all in good condition)

·
Premium Member
5,690 Posts
That TSRM is for an '85.
My GREEN flasher is behind the instrument panel and is difficult to get to! :mad:
Small hands are a big +.
B-4 you pull the panel,disconnect the speedometer cable bracket and leave it loose. It's below the master cylinder.
It's easier to re-attach the speedo cable back into the speedometer head.
83-88 Camry flasher? Unknown. This may be helpful:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That TSRM is for an '85.
My GREEN flasher is behind the instrument panel and is difficult to get to! :mad:
Small hands are a big +.
B-4 you pull the panel,disconnect the speedometer cable bracket and leave it loose. It's below the master cylinder.
It's easier to re-attach the speedo cable back into the speedometer head.
83-88 Camry flasher? Unknown. This may be helpful:
Thanks for the info very much appreciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try this first worked for my 82. Remove cover around steering column so you can spray some electrical contact cleaner in the flasher contact area and flip the flasher switch on and off about 25 times.
Thanks I’ll try that!

·
Super Moderator
8,229 Posts
There's a specific fuse just for the turn signals. I would suggest just starting simple first, but the relay is p/n 81980-22070. It's still available from Toyota for about $60. It looks like its shared across most mid 80s Toyotas. It looks like only 83 to early 86 Camry's share the part.

·
Premium Member
5,690 Posts
I used this tool to RIP out the flasher.

I use these weird pliers all of the time,too!

Works well to pull apart the yellow Toyota wire connectors and other things.

·
Premium Member
5,690 Posts
IF... you wanted to go to LED lights all the way around,see this thread:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also, if the problem is like with much other aging electronics, it's probably just a dry/bad solder inside, especially when there are big mechanical components like a relay involved.
Open it and resolder if you find hairline cracks anywhere!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so here’s an update: it wasn’t the flasher relay like I thought so it has to be something either wrong with the switch or wiring and I just can’t figure it out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Did you clean contacts by spraying down by hazard switch.It may take a few times to clean the contacts.
Check fuses turn 7.5 amp (ign on) and haz/horn 15 amp (always on).
Check for power at combo switch connector. Pin 1 12 volts, pin 2 12 volts ign on.
Power at flasher pin 3 ign on or flasher switch on.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you clean contacts by spraying down by hazard switch.It may take a few times to clean the contacts.
Check fuses turn 7.5 amp (ign on) and haz/horn 15 amp (always on).
Check for power at combo switch connector. Pin 1 12 volts, pin 2 12 volts ign on.
Power at flasher pin 3 ign on or flasher switch on.
Thanks I’ll try that!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
and you can get to the relay with out removing the dash, or steering wheel garnish, it's awkward with your head upside-down in the foot well but it can be done...

·
Registered
495 Posts
The car electronics do not like to sit around unused for long periods of time. My hazard, turn signals, climate control slider, wiper switch and gauge cluster temp gauge had issues after mine sat for awhile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts