Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The turn signals intermittently stop working in our '82, I'm leaning towards the flasher relay at this moment. I've tried searching on here about location of it and all I found was "up next to the steering column in a PITA location." Anyone have any good diagrams? Anyone else replace theirs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Have you tested your combo switch yet? The contacts get gunked up and stop working from time to time, same as the wipers do. Try clicking that sucker over a dozen times real fast and see if you hear any sparking or gets better or anything. If it does then contact cleaner would work wonders, de-oxit is the best you can buy for that.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
No diagram needed, take out the gauge cluster, look behind where it used to be, and towards the steering column, and you will see a green (or blue) box, and that is the flasher relay.

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
take out the gauge cluster
Which entails removing the gauge cluster hood first - two Phillips screws up under the hood, then remove the knob for the instrument lights dimmer and then the plastic cover and you'll have one Phillips screw pointing up in behind there towards the left and then go to the other side of the steering wheel and remove the little plastic rectangle cover and there are two Philips screws in there on the top pointing up. No need to remove any of the bolts hidden in there with 10mm heads, just those five Phillips total for the hood then you will have an electrical connector on each end; remove just one and the hood can hang from the other while you remove the four Phillips holding in the instrument cluster. Then you can pull the cluster out far enough (if your steering wheel is lowered) to remove the four or five electrical plugs and the speedo cable from behind the cluster so you can pull it out. You will see your flasher right there front and center.

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
Oops! That's the headlight retractor relay. The flasher relay is right there next to it but a normal human can not get to it from the front after removing the cluster. You have to go up from underneath unless you have real tiny little hands and arms. A PITA.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
FLASHER REPLACEMENT. My '84.

Flasher removal/replacement.
Add this info!
After the cluster is removed,it's behind a metal plate hung upside down to your UPPER LEFT of the speedometer cable.
You may see just the bottom part of the flasher. Black or green.The fat blue on is NOT the flasher unit.
Reach in with your right hand through the steering wheel and RIP it out of it's holder.
Then you may disconnect it-the 2 clips are bent outwards from the flasher unit.
I took too much stuff apart...
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/temporary_zps0ygks2s0.jpg.html][/URL]
This the NOT hole that you reach into. Reach in to the right of that hole with your right arm.
Flasher already ripped out of it's holder:
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/temporary_zpsvry3o5ux.jpg.html][/URL]

VERY helpful to pull the speedo cable grommet away from the firewall,below the power brake booster,to give you a little more slack to R&R the speedo cable from the speedo head!

[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/temporary_zpsoofffm2v.jpg.html][/URL]

Click on photos for a super-sized image.

I had to use a very long hemostat/tool to plug the speedo back into it's home.Actually a Double X gearwrench pliers.The small one.
These are super-handy for the most weird places!:good:

http://www.gearwrench.com/pliers/double-xr/gearwrench-82107-3-pc-double-xr-hose-grip-pliers-set.html

I didn't pay those prices.....
It was NOT easy.I don't want to do that again.:rolleyes:

The modded flasher works fine with my LED turn signal bulbs,but blinks a little slower than B-4.(Thanks ray85p!) Very bright and instant on and off.I was going to wire the little 194 bulb inside the turn signal housing to alternatly flash with the LED,but I got tired.I'm out of white 194 replacements,anyway.I have a few green and a handfull of red ones.

While you are in the dashboard guts,you may as well bubble-wrap that pesky "clicker" thing. It does NOT have to be grounded to work.
It still clicks, but it's
just very quiet clicks.It's on the right side where your right knee would be.
Un bolt it.Leave it unbolted.

Funny thing,when I was stuffing wires back into the dash,the door locks went off. EEEK! My Auto Loc key fob went off in my pocket and I thought I shorted the door locks.Naw,nothing in the dash controlls the door locks.Whew!

After crawling around under the dash, it's time for my reward.:mm_beer:

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
After removing the cluster on my 85P, I looked around behind it and didn't find the flasher. Then, I removed the lower dash panels and found it on a bracket near the firewall slightly to the left of the steering column just above the brake pedal. I reached up and removed it from its bracket which made it easy to remove the harness plug, modify and reinstall.
It certainly wasn't where it was on Dave's 84L. And removing the cluster wasn't any help. Still no fun to get at though but I wouldn't say it was a PITA.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
HOW can your '85 be different,unless someone already yanked it out and that's where it ended up?
I assume it was a green one,Ray.
I had to pull the cluster back out after the engine swap and plug the speedo back in. It IS a PITA.
A tool like this makes it easier to plug in the speedo cable to the speedo head:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-X-Long-Reach-Pliers-Multiplies-Grip-Strength-/171246000273?hash=item27df0e9891
Pulling forward on the speedo cable firewall grommet gives a little more cable to work with,too.
'85 flasher location.:wtf:

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
Oops! That's the headlight retractor relay. The flasher relay is right there next to it but a normal human can not get to it from the front after removing the cluster. You have to go up from underneath unless you have real tiny little hands and arms. A PITA.
Maybe it's not a pain in the ass but it sure is a pain in the neck! I went up from underneath and it was painful with my ass hanging halfway out the door and my head wedged in by the pedals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts