Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Toyota 5-speed transmission--I think it is a W55 or W56--installed in a 1954 Austin-Healey. (This is not an uncommon modification in the Healey world and at least two suppliers make custom bellhousings and kits.)

In any case my question is whether or not flat-towing the car for substantial distances will cause damage to the transmission. If the answer is "yes" is there any external oil pump that can be fitted to make towing possible?

TIA-Michael Oritt

·
Registered
491 Posts
I cant recall seeing an engine driven oil pump inside the transmission, and I have heard of people towing the Toyota Pickups / celicas behind motor homes in the past, but never heard of anyone having any trouble with them.

So long as your driveline is well balanced, the angles are correct and the bearings / U-joints are in good shape you should be OK.

If you're only going 1 Way a long distance and are concerned, you can always disconnect the drive line. (I mentioned the Celica / Pickup because the W55, W56, W58 transmissions are all essentially the same minus bell housing and ratios and some mundane details.)

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Most manual transmissions (like the W58) are 'splash lubricated' and all the internal gears are continuously meshed to the output shaft, with gear shifting occurring by coupling gears to the input shaft using engagement collars (or coupling the input and output shafts together for 4th gear 1:1 ratio). As long as the fluid level is correct, towing a car that has a W58 (with it in neutral obviously) presents no danger to the driveline as long as all the fluids are filled to their proper operating level.

·
Founding Member
6,250 Posts
If its a concern for you, on the Supra at least, the odometer is driven off the output shaft. If you don't want to register the tow mileage, then you could disconnect the speedo cable. I've read different theories on the subject and some say there is a concern with some transmissions not being engineered to tolerate the "input" coming from the rear over a long distance regardless of temperature as the gears are being driven on the opposite faces than normal. I can't tell you if there's merit to that or not. To be safe and not register the mileage, what I've done in the past when using a tow dolly over hundreds of miles is to disconnect the driveshaft from the differential yoke and wire it up out of the way. Its incredibly easy so I figured why not.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
What Phil said. Either unhook the speedo cable from the cluster (it'll leak if you do it at the tranny, plus it's really tight fit ,on the Supra's anyways).

Safest bet, just unhook the driveshaft from the diff and wire it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts