Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading through Dean Andersons weight listings (thanks for making the list Dean :)) and i saw that the front and rear bumpers have foam supports that weigh 4 and 6 pounds respectively.

i realize 10 pounds isnt a whole lot of weight, but why haul it around if you dont have to, and it would get rid of a bit of weight off the ends of the car, which in theory should bring the center of mass just a hair closer to center. (not that youd ever notice with the small amounts)

anyways, my question is, how essential is that foam?
can you remove it without distorting the shape of the bumper?
will it make the bumper cover fragile and prone to damage if someone nudges it, or leans on it?

thanks in advance.

barry

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
That foam bumper doesn't do much. When I put my erebuni air damn on the front bumper, I forgot to put the foam back in. THe shape stayed perferct (especially sincec the stock bumper bolts above and below it). I also clipped a pick up on the freeway with the corner of my bumper. All it did was chip the paint off. The bumper mustve bent in and popped back out. Probly better off than if I would've had the foam in there.

Christian

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
in that particular case maybe. I once rear ended someone with a mk2 rather hard and we both had poly bumpers with foam inserts. 0 damage. Without the foam the bumper cover will compress into the rebar and then you'll have metal on poly contact. I'd expect it to tear a hole in your own bumper and leave some noticable marks on the other persons car in a similar situation to what happened to me. Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
actually I got a good look at a mk4 front bumper the other day and they use a dense styrofoam insert instead of the soft heavy foam in ours. The piece of styrofoam weighs almost nothing. I guess if someone was adventerous they could make a mold of the stock foam insert and then fill it with that expanding foam stuff to make a styrofoam like duplicate. Just an idea.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, i can probably find a block of styrofoam big enough to make a replacement foam filler.

might take a bit of carving, but whats a few hours, maybe a days worth of work for a car im already spending time working on :)

·
Super Moderator
8,363 Posts
If you were going to do anything I'd just take a big hole saw and cut big holes all over it. The absorber is there to absorb any soft impact you take. Although come on 4 and 6 pounds :?

·
Registered
202 Posts
4-6 pounds wouldn't do anything...our years are conciderably light compared to the upper years. If you wanna take out some weight, do what I did. Take out the engine...do it flintstone style! Then with the engine out and the suspension maxed out, you can fit maybe a 3" drop in it :lol:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, as far as the weight goes, im thinking along the lines of a penny saved is a penny earned...

a) i get to learn more about how to repair my car.
b) i save a few pounds, which along with removing the a/c, relocating the battery, installing lexan/plexi windows, and a few other things should make a difference.
c) i take pride in doing something to improve my car, even if only a fraction.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Barry,

Keep removing that weight. :) Every little bit helps. When you have the bumper covers off, take a look at the front and rear steel reinforcing bars. You'll get some ideas I'm sure.

I've found about 200 lbs that I can remove that no one else would even notice. That doesn't include any gutting of the interior. I've removed about 150 lbs from my white 83, and can remove another 50 lbs in a couple of minutes when I go to the track. Again, full interior is still intact.

Every 100 lbs removed is like adding 5 HP for free. Not a huge difference, but it will make sure you beat another Mk2 with the same HP and engine mods as you. Lots of local Supra Club members ask why my Mk2 is faster than theirs.... :lol:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a liquid that is mixed together to make foam at work, it's lighter than the foam in our cars, and I don't think it would be that hard to duplicate our foam inserts, would any one be interested in a foam insert lighter than original, I was going to use it as a sound insulator, but gave up on the ideal, can also make console lid pads, but its alittle harder than stock, but can hold our sharp edges on the consoles probably longer providing you don't sit on it. hahahahahaha!! Just trying to help. If interested pm me, I get enough people wanting some I will make them, and I don't mean try.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ask yourself "What does a bumper NEED to do?"

(insert Jeprody music here...)

K times up!

The answer is ABSOREB ENERGY!

Now the front of an MKII has a fair amount of "Crumple Zone" so in the case of a large crash ... you probably would still be fine.

For a smaller "bump" you will bend and crush stuff in the nose far easier.

Your call. :D

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
batmobile said:
I would leave it in, but that heavy metal bumper, can be fixed with a fiberglass replica. You can save 20 pounds up front and 20 pounds out back if its made right. As for the foam, I would leave it in, but I would replace the metal bumper with something lighter, but still make it so it will take the brunt of the impact.
let me get this straight... you want to remove a steel bumper support that saves your life, and replace with a fiberglass to save weight.. are you STUPID? ever seen an exploded corvette in a junk yard? umm fiberglass is not all that cool when smacking something at ANY speed.. you have your fiberglass weight saving bumper.. ill take steel ANY DAY and after that.. well do speed tests.. same speed to same stationary object. well see who's car gets fkd up first and the worst.

just my rant and .02

·
Registered
196 Posts
I know everyone has seen scariest police chases, the corvette that lost control, slammed into the back of the semi, car just shattered on inpact! Which, is just a death trap, keep the metal bumper support and find something else to take out to lose weight or convert!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts