Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been 'done' before but I've added in all the electrical diagrams and body locations.

I wanted to check this 'simple' procedure before I cut up wires and blow my tail light circuit. This is really really dumbed down. Please bear with me, I am not any kind of electrical guy so I need to go slow. I also hope to help those who are also new to this car and it's wiring but who would like to have this mod. It is a very helpful feature to be able to run with the fog lights on during the day without the headlights being on.

After reading all the material and checking the wiring diagrams I think I can do it. Yes I know it's not hard....its also easy to screw it up.

So I wanted to check with the folk who can read the diagrams.

Since I am new to electrical diagrams and reading voltmeters I wanted to check my process and understanding.

I have a 1983 p-type, I am going by a 1982 Electrical Wiring Diagram (EWD), I got my EWD from this site. Lots of very good online pdf files there btw. It matches my existing wiring.

http://docs.azsupracentral.com/

Here is the fog light Diagram, I've added to the diagram where I think the power is coming from once the low beam headlights are turned on.

I am Following Greg Giacchi's instructions from the original FAQ document, http://www.celicasupra.com/mkiifogrewire.htm, which he did on a 1984 and 1985. He said 'He was told' the colors were the same for the '82 and '83, however mine are different. I can not speak for all years so you will have to check your wires and go by what you find to be hot. Not a big deal as you should check with a meter anyway.

On the above diagram the wires for the fog light switch are Green with an Orange stripe and Red with a Black stripe. This is accurate for my '83, These wire colors are only accurate up to the connector, labeled (I). After the connector, (I), they will be different color wires that are going into the actual switch.

The switch and connector (I) shown below is actually in the center console, which they don't show, next to the parking brake. On my '83 they have the fog light switch and then the lock switch.

-Greg Giacchi
My method will allow you to leave the factory foglamp rocker switch in the ON position all the time. The foglamps will light up whenever the parking lamps are ON. However, you can still switch the fogs off if you desire. Please note my method will bypass the high-beam cutout.
You will only need:
  1. Philips Screwdriver,
  2. Wire Cutters,
  3. common "solderless" Spade Connectors
  4. Crimp Tool,
  5. Electrical Tape,
  6. approx 24 inches of 12 or 14 gauge wire.
Start by removing the six phillips head trim screws from the center console. Two are on each side, and two more are inside the center compartment. Lift the console up, and turn over on its side.

-Greg Giacchi

Underneath, you will notice the foglamp switch (I), has two wires feeding it: green/orange and red/white. The red/white is the hot side and will be eliminated. (wire colors are dependant on year, check your EWD and check with a volt meter).

Cut this red/white wire leaving a 2 to 3 inch pigtail on the switch side. Wrap the source side of the red/white wire with electrical tape.

You will now obtain power from the map lamp (K), which is located under the armrest. This map lamp is actuated by the parking lamps.

With the console still up-side-down, you will notice that the map lamp (K), has a white/black (2),and green wire (1), feeding it. The green wire is hot and will be the new foglamp power source.

You'll want to splice in about 18 inches of either 12 or 14 gauge wire to this green wire. Then connect the other end of this new wire to your red/white wire pigtail.

TEST to make sure the foglamps are now working with parking lamps.
Reinstall console - you are done! REMEMBER to wrap the unused red/white wire (source side) with electrical tape to prevent shorting.

-Greg Giacchi

note: I've only added in diagrams and letters
I hope all the above is accurate and will allow those of us who are new to it, (I include myself), to do this mod without blowing fuses or their minds.

NOTE: If you do mix up your power connections you most likely will blow the 'Tail" fuse, in the engine compartment fuse box. This will be apparent when your parking/running lights no longer work. Replace that "Tail" fuse and start over...no big deal.

Please correct me on this if I've made any error...I'll edit it as I read comments.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I did the mod in about 15 minutes sitting at my grandma's one day. Yes it works, and if you follow the colors of the wires I don't think it's hard to screw up. I almost screwed by not giving myself enough wire to play with haha. Found red/white source, found green, and ran wire to connect them together then taped up excess, that was it.

But anyways, I had to comment about the mod itself. This mod will fail my state inspection if discovered. Why? Because fog lights are supposed to turn off with high beams on. They don't under this mod. So basically after the State Inspector I work with told me that I'm removing mine altogether, cause even though they work now I don't freaking use them haha.

I passed last January with the not working cause that inspector didn't know the car had them, he never saw the switch.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, after I took everything apart it was quite easy. I'm also working on my heater problem so it took a while to get the console apart....still getting used to it.

Maybe 30 min?

Now if I could just figure out that heat....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But anyways, I had to comment about the mod itself. This mod will fail my state inspection if discovered. Why? Because fog lights are supposed to turn off with high beams on. They don't under this mod. So basically after the State Inspector I work with told me that I'm removing mine altogether, cause even though they work now I don't freaking use them haha.

I passed last January with the not working cause that inspector didn't know the car had them, he never saw the switch.
Is that for all states? I don't even have to pass any kind of inspection here that I know of. I just register it. done.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yea if you don't need to pass a state inspection, then go for it. I gotta pass one (gotta take it before Feb. 2010) and don't want the car to fail at all. If the inspector notices the fog lights don't function properly (i.e. turn off with high beams on) it'll fail. I get 30 days to correct the problem, but I want it to pass first try. So yea, gonna have to go outside one day and remove that switch and remove the bulbs real quick.

Wish I could think of something to put in place of that switch though.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
for mine I used the rear defroster for power (fog lights whenever the ignition is on) and its been a long time but I remember makeing conections so that I could switch it back... involved removing the pins out of the conectors iirc

will

1 - 7 of 7 Posts