Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought someone might have posted about this, but I couldnt find it... Anyway, everytime it is humid, raining, or it cools off at night, my interior fogs up really bad. The worst part is the hatch glass, as the bottom half is completely white with fog and you cant see through it. The defogger helps, a little, with that. The windshield gets it pretty bad too, and I have to have a rag handy to wipe it down every 2-3 minutes. On dry days, or when the sun is out, it is perfect. It seems to worsen greatly if I have the windows closed. I have thought of the heater core, I had one go on a different car, but this isnt like that. In that car, only the front got fogged, and when wiped off it was very greasy and it reeked of antifreeze in the car. There is no actual "water" on the windows, and the windshield and hatch seals are good. Other than that, I have no idea. Any suggestions?

-Ken

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would venture a guess that you have a leak *somewhere*.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I've had this problem myself and I hate to tell you this it required replacing the heater core. Not only is it a very expensive part (>$200) but it requires removal of the entire dash. Check the pananger side floor for antifreze. If you have coolent on the floor under the heater blower area you could posible have a heater core that has gone bad.

Will

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it might be. I was hoping it might be something else, since I dont really want to rip the dash apart. Oh well, this just got bumped farther down on the list, since I think I just nuked my differential. :( Not too happy about that, but havent had a chance to look at it yet.

-Ken

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have this problem big time. It is a leak at the base of the windshield under the black trim. On mine it sometimes makes actual steam(when I am using the heater for the first time in the morning) but mostly it is condensation on the windshield and hatch. My antifreeze is fine and no greasy build up on the glass. Check under the pass. side kick panel for moisture.

-Wil

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
As someone else suggested, it sounds like you have a leak allowing water to pool somewhere in the car. Check the spare tire well for water. Check the rear quarters behind the rear wheels too.
If your pass side carpet under the blower motor is wet, put a white paper towel on it and let it sop some of it up. If it is green (or red if you use red antifreeze), then you've probably got a bad heater core.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm. No antifreeze, no wet carpet, but I do have holes in the wheel wells and the black metal "shield" underneath the winsdhield is rotting in places, but I dont see any actual water buildup anywhere, just loads of steam.

-Ken

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yes that sounds like my car. I have just removed and tried to repair the wiper control module located in the pass kick panel. It was wet and corroded. It didnt work :( I just went for a drive and as I returned home the wipers activated and wouldnt shut off. frustrating and embarrasing.
I dont know what I am going to do until I can find a replacment.
-Wil

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Might help

This Might help until you find the problem(something similar happend to me). Try just cleaning the living hell out of the interior AND exterior glass, it will give the water molecules less surface area to adhere to, and a very light air flow of any temp should clear the glass faster. Not a solution of course, but a little bit of help.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Mine did this too until I fixed the leak I had in my windshield trim... I fixed the leak and mo more fog :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts