Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm glad I found this forum. My 1984 P type, red 5 speed, was my first car that I owned from 86 through 93. Sold at 146,000 miles, Swiss cheese rusty from year-round Northeast living, with the original clutch and only $90 in repairs (starter) throughout its lifetime. An amazing car that took me to and through many great experiences. I miss it.

So, it's time for me to find another one. I'm on the hunt and hope to find one by spring. I'm in New Hampshire. I look forward to hanging out here with you all.

-Tom

·
Founding Member
6,250 Posts
Welcome back. Sounds like you got to live my dream to have a mk2 Supra as a first car. I would ride my bicycle down to the Toyota dealer and drool on them till the salesmen would shoo me away. Unfortunately, even the 82 which were a couple years old at that point were still way too pricey for me. Had to wait till after college to get my first Supra, which I still have.

My advice now though is to spend the coin and make sure to get one that's already in excellent condition. Its hard enough to find a decent Supra to buy, but its virtually impossible to find all of the plastic, vinyl and rubber parts to restore one and even some gaskets and bushings are getting scarce. It may seem like you're paying too much as it will probably cost you more than it did in 1986, but barring an economic recession, its only going up in value the closer our generation gets to retirement age. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome back. Sounds like you got to live my dream to have a mk2 Supra as a first car. I would ride my bicycle down to the Toyota dealer and drool on them till the salesmen would shoo me away. Unfortunately, even the 82 which were a couple years old at that point were still way too pricey for me. Had to wait till after college to get my first Supra, which I still have.

My advice now though is to spend the coin and make sure to get one that's already in excellent condition. Its hard enough to find a decent Supra to buy, but its virtually impossible to find all of the plastic, vinyl and rubber parts to restore one and even some gaskets and bushings are getting scarce. It may seem like you're paying too much as it will probably cost you more than it did in 1986, but barring an economic recession, its only going up in value the closer our generation gets to retirement age. Good luck with your search.
Thanks pdup.

I'm sure that's sound advice. I feel like the timing as right, as 80's things become ever more popular. This will be an investement that I can use and enjoy as long as I have it. Of course, I'm biased, but the edgy mkII is beautiful and unique. Only the Starion came close to being as nice (imitation . . . flattery).

There don't seem to be a lot of choices in New England but I'm willing to travel a bit. Also willing to consider an imperfect car as I'm unafraid (gasp) to mildly restomod where needed, mainly suspension, possibly wheels, and eventually powertrain. Hoping to avoid significant bodywork. Mine will look pretty stock otherwise. Don't want to spoil the beauty.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
if your interested I have a 86 MK2 SDR.

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Welcome! Well, I'd focus your search further south then if you want one with a really good body. Dealing with rusted out rockers in front of the rear wheels is all a part of the mk2 experience if you live anywhere they use salt in the winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if your interested I have a 86 MK2 SDR.
That's a beautiful car. I'll reach out to see if you still have it after I've had a chance to check out a couple of local prospects. Thanks.

·
Founding Member
6,250 Posts
Thanks pdup.

Only the Starion came close to being as nice (imitation . . . flattery).
Funny you should mention the Starion. The Starion was a close second for me too styling-wise and I would jump at the chance to buy one. I've been intending to buy another classic car this spring. Actually I've got a long wish list of cars that I would like to experience owning before I die but I'm limited as to how many I can have at any one time. The Supra is a keeper of course, but I'm going to sell a Jaguar this spring and start hunting for something else from the list. Back in the day I also liked several other wedge-shaped cars like the Giugiaro-designed Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo, S12 Nissan 200SX Turbo, Dodge Charger Daytona Shelby Turbo Z, Volkswagen Scirroco (particularly the Calloway), and I drove for seven years back in the day a Mercury Capri RS but I've always wanted an ASC McLaren. Any of those would be viable candidates but I don't have the bandwidth for another project car so whatever I get has to be pretty close to mint. My wish list though includes models from the nineteen teens to present day so I could wind up with almost anything, but I don't want to wait till I'm priced out of the market on the 80s stuff so that's kind of going to be the focus. If you know of a minty Starion ESI-R or its sister, the Conquest TSI, I'd be very interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts