Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was getting parts from this nice wreck of an 1983 automatic p-type. Its in pretty good shape...I've gotten a ton of stuff off it.

I found this black nasty looking key on the floor. I could read though the blackness, "Fits Toyota".

"Cool", I think, "Why not grab it and have a nice original key...just for kicks."

So I take it home and cleaned it up till it sparkled.

While I was messing about I thought to try it in the glove box. Its the key I don't have.

WTF! it works. Holy cow its a supra master key! I've only had the subkey to date!

So I am a happy supra key owner today.

I am curious if anyone else has been able to switch master keys about for their year?

·
POTATO
17,252 Posts
I have 6 Supra keys from previous cars I've owned, and I've helped several mk2 owners break into their own cars with my set, LOL

I think there was only 24 possible key combos back in the day. My keys also work in Celicas.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
very cool find ... wish i could lock my glove.

T - do you have any extra glove box keys ?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I think there was only 24 possible key combos back in the day. My keys also work in Celicas.
Yeah, there are 24-26 different key combos. During the old Toyota meets, we use to play the game of who's key can do what.

The glovebox key is the same one that opens the hatch, doors, and starts the car.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My collection is up to 10 different keys.
People freak out when you go to test drive their car and they find that I already have a key that fits.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
I am starting my car with my wifes....its pretty sad. At the north east spring meet I got into another friends car cause he didnt have his key....its sad that her 85 will start my 82....

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
reminds me of a month or two ago i met up with achan and (i forgot the other guys name from iowa; has a silver 84-86 with a 7mgte swap) i tried my key to open his door and it worked. he wanted to try and see if itll turn on the car and it did lol. the look on both of our faces was priceless....

·
Registered
472 Posts
My collection is up to 10 different keys.
People freak out when you go to test drive their car and they find that I already have a key that fits.
phew... none of those match mine. lol.

·
POTATO
17,252 Posts
very cool find ... wish i could lock my glove.

I dunno, maybe?

The glovebox key is the same one that opens the hatch, doors, and starts the car.

Right now, the key I got with this car does NOT open my glovebox. However, the key I have from my FIRST Supra opens both the doors and the glovebox (can't test on hatch as the lock is buggered), but it will not turn the ignition.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
and have a nice original key...just for kicks."
JZAR... not to spoil your elation, but that is a common hardware store key blank, thus the "fits" toyota marking. Cool that is works your glovebox neve rthe less.

Now how did you guys find out about the maximum of 24 or 26 possible key configurations? I never knew this.

Is this pattern true for all 82-86 cars? As most ppl know 82-83 cars have different ignition cylinders from the 84+ cars.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JZAR... not to spoil your elation, but that is a common hardware store key blank, thus the "fits" toyota marking. Cool that is works your glovebox neve rthe less.

Now how did you guys find out about the maximum of 24 or 26 possible key configurations? I never knew this.

Is this pattern true for all 82-86 cars? As most ppl know 82-83 cars have different ignition cylinders from the 84+ cars.
ahh Greg.....now I'm low :naughty: Ahh well. too bad. I'm still glad to have a master key 'copy'

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
My key opens and closes all my stuff. The spare key I had made for $1.50 at least opens the doors and starts the car, never tried it on the glove box.

Master keys, just hope they don't fall into the wrong hands haha. If the Chrysler 300 Master Key fell into a thief's hand a lot of folks cars would be missing and turn up for sale somewhere ha. And of course some genius would just buy his car back haha.

·
Registered
348 Posts
As far as I have tested, a key from a 75 corolla (my first car) has fit an 85 Celica. Nothing documented, only field tested.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
J

It was a guy on an old forum I was part of that worked for a wrecking yard that did the "research" and it was from '72 to about '92 that could work for most Toyota's. I can try to find the info, but this was many years ago and I think the forum is long extinct.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Mark (RA24man) has posted on this - there are actually quite a few more key combinations, but the driver side door and ignition locks wear down so they accept many keys. The passenger side and glove box locks are much more infrequently used, so the exact key is more important.

I recently used my keys on a 84 Cressida and a 83 Celica. Worked on the driver's side and ignition only, no luck on the passenger side lock.

·
Registered
634 Posts
So I was getting parts from this nice wreck of an 1983 automatic p-type. Its in pretty good shape...I've gotten a ton of stuff off it.

I found this black nasty looking key on the floor. I could read though the blackness, "Fits Toyota".

"Cool", I think, "Why not grab it and have a nice original key...just for kicks."

So I take it home and cleaned it up till it sparkled.

While I was messing about I thought to try it in the glove box. Its the key I don't have.

WTF! it works. Holy cow its a supra master key! I've only had the subkey to date!

So I am a happy supra key owner today.

I am curious if anyone else has been able to switch master keys about for their year?
the key looks aftemarket to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts