Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just found someone parting out an 84 p type.

I recently got my 86 about a week ago.

Which parts are the hardest to find that I should make sure to get?

I'm planning to pull as many things as I can even if my car doesn't need them yet.

Any suggestions would be great, could probably sell anything I don't need to.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
LSD

rear cv axles

drive shaft and center support bearing

ignitor + coil

Distributor

door seals

wipers drivers side

Radio surround

shifter boot if decent

door panels again if decent

any trim around windshield or rear window

any body belt trim

sun visors

seat trim

fan shroud

if manual pedal set brake/clutch

slave cylinder

fog lights

·
Founding Member
6,405 Posts
Anything made out of plastic, rubber or vinyl that is still intact and that you can remove without damage. Any metal body parts that are not rusted. Anything electrical other than common bulbs. Any glass that is not broken, cracked or scratched. Any textiles that are intact and look like they might could be cleaned regardless of color. Anything mechanical other than common wear items like bearings and seals that do not cross-reference to at least five other Toyota vehicles.

In short, if you would be content to put it on your own car, grab it. Regardless if yours will ever need it or not, somebody's does so we don't want to let it go to waste. Too many viable parts have already gone through the shredder and those "self-service" salvage yards are notorious for finding half the car destroyed by inconsiderate customers who rip, tear, cut and stain perfectly good parts in the process of removing the one piece they need. Or they leave the car with the windows down, hood up, doors open, sunroof open etc. and then mother nature finishes it off. Whatever extras you come up with, post em up here in the for sale section.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
front turn signals
tail light assemblies
side mirrors
little triangles that cover the wires and plugs for the mirrors
antenna assembly
rear hatch if not rusted
uncracked dash pad
console door if leather is good
sunroof if not rusted
flares
front fenders

·
Registered
284 Posts
Definitely the bumper covers even if they are slightly damaged, as they are hard to find and can be repaired by a body shop. Sun roof and hatch if they are not rusty.....

·
Super Moderator
8,356 Posts
So if you read this thread basically just back your truck up and tow the whole car away :laugh:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that's what it's sounding like lol. Unfortunately I don't have room to do something like that.

Any tips on removing window glass? How do I keep the exterior trim from breaking?

So if you read
this thread basically just back your truck up and tow the whole car away

·
Founding Member
6,405 Posts
Each piece of trim is held on with different types of clips. Its hard to describe each one and how they work, but people have posted about them in the past. The windshield and quarter windows are glued in. You have to poke a cutting wire through the urethane in one spot then pull it all the way around the perimeter. Hatch glass is a rubber gasket. You can try to save the gasket by prying the trim out and folding it back over the pinch-weld but you may wind up tearing it as its probably old and brittle now anyway. Not sure if Raptor still has any of the 85 style reproduction gaskets left (85 doesn't have the metal trim). If they are still in stock, you can just cut the old gasket and buy a new one. But when the stock runs out, that's it. Probably be a decade before George gets another batch made.

·
Registered
284 Posts
There is a thread on how to remove the hatch glass without cutting the gasket by using a small putty knife/scraper and a screwdriver. I have removed two, and it is not difficult once you get the procedure down. I purchased a replacement in case I ruined the gasket, but I was able to get it off intact, and it was in better shape than the spare I bought.

And I agree, just taking the whole car would be ideal. Kevin K. tossed a lot of interior trim and such and just sold off mechanical items that he had accumulated over the years. He gave me a hatch carpet and a few other small items......

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Get the smalls, like fuses, relays, controllers, heater resistor coil etc., def come in handy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
85 Supra cleaning out my garage have a '85 5MGE rebuilt engine

So I just found someone parting out an 84 p type.

I recently got my 86 about a week ago.

Which parts are the hardest to find that I should make sure to get?

I'm planning to pull as many things as I can even if my car doesn't need them yet.

Any suggestions would be great, could probably sell anything I don't need to.
have a

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cleaning out my garage. I have an '85 5MGE rebuilt engine, a 108k mile 5-speed tranny, driveshaft and a few other misc parts for $750 dollars. Money back guarantee on the engine, although it's been sitting in my garage for 10 or 12 years and will need injectors replaced, whether new or currently in use. Tulsa, OK. 918-492-8130

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you were in California I might be interested.

Cleaning out my garage. I have an '85 5MGE rebuilt engine, a 108k mile 5-speed tranny, driveshaft and a few other misc parts for $750 dollars. Money back guarantee on the engine, although it's been sitting in my garage for 10 or 12 years and will need injectors replaced, whether new or currently in use. Tulsa, OK. 918-492-8130

1 - 14 of 14 Posts