Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just discovered (thru the forum) that Sumitomo is also no longer making our tire size. However, I found a place that has some Yokohama AVID S/Ts. They do however have a 420 AB rating. Anyone try these or have an opinion? - And I have used the search but haven't spotted a specific reference. They are $62 ea vs the BF Goodrich T/As @ $71.30 ea.

FYI they also claim to have Cooper Cobra, Master Craft Avenger, Laramie Tempra in our (stock) size. Don't think any are rated HR as they all say 118MPH which seems to be SR?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just discovered (thru the forum) that Sumitomo is also no longer making our tire size. However, I found a place that has some Yokohama AVID S/Ts. They do however have a 420 AB rating. Anyone try these or have an opinion? - And I have used the search but haven't spotted a specific reference. They are $62 ea vs the BF Goodrich T/As @ $71.30 ea.

FYI they also claim to have Cooper Cobra, Master Craft Avenger, Laramie Tempra in our (stock) size. Don't think any are rated HR as they all say 118MPH which seems to be SR?
Sorry...Just found some of the prior posts on this topic - S/T small truck - wow. Guess I'm back to the BFGs with a 400AB rating...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i've used Laramie Tempra through discount tire before, i guess they're okay...in short its better than not having any tires to roll on...( at the time...and for everyday driving...)

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The Avid ST's are also soon getting fased out. You can get 235/60-14's, but they have doubled their price in the past 6 months.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
time to get new wheels! get some 16" wheels and tires will come back down to around $45.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I put some 235/60/14s AVID S/Ts 2 weeks ago, so far they're an excellent tire. I work at a tire shop that sells yokohama and I had to wait a month to get the tires in from Japan. I would've gone with BFGs but at the price I got them at I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't believe the 'S/T' (or 'ST') refers to 'small truck'. That's just Yoko's designation. The tire designation for a 'light truck' tire is 'LT'.

Mark

·
Registered
410 Posts
good choice

i am running the avid ST yoko's, IMHO they are alot better than the older style yoko's that were on there before. they area a great replacement for the stock wheels, not that there is much more to choose from. you can check out discount tire, there will have to be ordered in and take a few days. i got all 4 for 325.00 $ with some persuasion. these are the same tires as the avid st 420's jus with a little different tread on the outter part, inside remained the same. st 420's are no longer available in our stock size. i am very happy with these being a stock replacement and recommend them to any one still running stock wheels. hope this gives you alittle insight on these tires. I LIKE THEM ( SOCAL SUPRA has seen my tires ) he might remember them... MIKE ????

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am running the avid ST yoko's, IMHO they are alot better than the older style yoko's that were on there before. they area a great replacement for the stock wheels, not that there is much more to choose from. you can check out discount tire, there will have to be ordered in and take a few days. i got all 4 for 325.00 $ with some persuasion. these are the same tires as the avid st 420's jus with a little different tread on the outter part, inside remained the same. st 420's are no longer available in our stock size. i am very happy with these being a stock replacement and recommend them to any one still running stock wheels. hope this gives you alittle insight on these tires. I LIKE THEM ( SOCAL SUPRA has seen my tires ) he might remember them... MIKE ????
I'm a little confused. You say that you are happy with the Avid ST and that they are the same as the Avid ST 420's just with a different tread on the outter part? The tires I'm looking at are advertised as AVID S/T with 420AB rating...Think I'll give them a call to verify. They claimed to have stock on hand-must be old stock though.

Thanks for all the other member comments too...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
time to get new wheels! get some 16" wheels and tires will come back down to around $45.
Not quite ready to give up on the original wheels yet...we still got to get together. I spent all day Sunday under my car detailing...got an oil leak driving me nuts too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
410 Posts
when i bought these i asked the difference between these and the 420's...... if you happen to find a pic of the old style 420's you will see the outter tread is different..... they are still using the same style inner tread on these newer st's . ( different outter tread, same inner tread as 420's ) hope this clarify's, if not then time to do some shoppin...

·
Registered
410 Posts
i have an avid st 420 on a spare from my old cressida i kept, the tire is brand new 215/50/14. i will post a pic when i get off work showing the difference between the 2 tires if that helps.

·
Registered
410 Posts
i got mine ordered through discount tire in rancho san diego. you can get them through any discount tire co. i belive IIRC they were 325.00 installed, you have to talk the sales person down for that price. they are great tires and come with lettering on booth sides.. one side white, which is on the inside of mine... and the other side black molded to the tire. you can check if they offer no lettering on them but i doubt it. ( lunch time, time for some pics ) : )

first pic is of the older 420 style

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb23/dwainellsworth/

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
I don't believe the 'S/T' (or 'ST') refers to 'small truck'. That's just Yoko's designation. The tire designation for a 'light truck' tire is 'LT'.

Mark
Nope.

It's been verified several times that the Avid ST really IS a truck tire (at least in design). That Yokohama just happened to have in a 225/60/14.

Hrmm... Did not realize that the AVID S/T's had 2 design changes. I can see it, in the set of pictures. Design One has the curved tread on the outer blocks, similiar to the curves on the A509's. While the later ones are angled.

I'm really hoping that these will be around for awhile. These were going to be my next set of tires after I finally wear out my A509's.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts