Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since it is getting hard to find an 85 Supra ingniter, I wanted to share/document a solution I tried and worked. You can still purchase the igniter for the 86 Supra, 3.0L. It is also the model used in the 92 Cressida. You will find it listened as:

Standard Motor Products LX-837 Ignition Control Module

or

AIRTEX/WELLS 6H1318

You will need to save your old wire harnes form your 85 igniter. Unsolder it and swap it with the new igniter. By looking at the two wires that go to the coil from old to new, you can figure out how the old harnes attaches to the new module. The new module has one less wire. From what I can figure, this is the wire that you short to get ignition failure codes for when you are trouble shooting.

I've had this fix for two years now with no problems.

Peter

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is so awesome to know now, I'm bringing my Supra home tomorrow and was worried about what I would do if the igniter has gone bad, which seems to be pretty common

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is expensive, but I tried this solution after finding just one used 85 igniter from a wrecker in Florida. It cost me $300.00 and was DOA. He would not give me my money back. As with all wreckers, electronics are not guaranteed, so you are taking a risk. And, my car was down for several months until I tried the 86 igniter.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Is this the correct part number?
Or this one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need help on this; i can’t find either of the parts Zishcap identified - of course his post is 3 years old now. I can tell you my 85 automatic also has the O25 - am I right that the only way to replace with new involves an aftermarket solution with wiring revisions and new coils?

·
Premium Member
7,597 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I contacted the manufacturer and got a written response - the SMP LX-837 is discontinued with no replacement. Nuts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts