Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently it's gettig harder to buy lowering springs for the MA6x in the US. I asked a guy on the OCC who sells parts:

> Hey Josh - you can get lowering springs for A6 Celis & Supras, right? I
get
> people from the US asking me about lowering springs all the time. You only
> list earlier years on your site.

Yes. I just need to label the pairs as being A6 specific, etc. Here are
the part numbers:

RA60 (solid rear axle):
lowered pair, front
http://www.185performance.com/cgi-bin/185p/C59-054V.html
lowered pair, rear
http://www.185performance.com/cgi-bin/185p/C59-027V.html

RA65, SA63 (IRS):
lowered pair, front
http://www.185performance.com/cgi-bin/185p/C59-054V.html
lowered pair, rear
http://www.185performance.com/cgi-bin/185p/C59-101.html

MA61:
lowered pair, front
http://www.185performance.com/cgi-bin/185p/C59-068.html
lowered pair, rear
http://www.185performance.com/cgi-bin/185p/C59-059.html

Josh McClain
Whiteline, MRT, DMS, GoFastBits, Dobinsons, SuperPro, SX, Cibie, Amsoil
[email protected]
www.185performance.com
Hope this helps!
Stefan

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Great find Stefan!! Just to be double sure... those prices are in AU Dollars, and are for a pair, correct? If that is Australian Dollars, then at todays exchange rate, that works out to $69.73us a pair! Great price!! WHat kind of quality are these springs

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Looks like these guys are in Colorado, so that would be US dollars. Not too bad, though I've never heard of Dobinsons. Anyone else have?

Christian

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, they are in US dollars. John sells Australian parts in the US. I don't know much about dobinsons springs myself, but you could always ask him. He sells a lot of Whiteline gear too.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Even so they are still a good price! I'd heard of Dobinsons before and I think thats the route I am gonna go with my rear springs, tho I want the stock height ones..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys. This is Josh McClain, owner of 185 Performance. We are located just to the southwest of Denver, Colorado.

Thanks to Stefan for inviting me over here.

Anyway, we're hardcore Toyota lovers. I personally own a 77 RA29, 88 ST162, another 88 ST162, an 88 ST165, a 92 ST185, and a 97 VZN170.

Besides the typical aftermarket parts (GReddy, HKS, etc.), we import various goodies from Australia. The three primary manufacturers being Dobinsons, SuperPro, and Whiteline.

Since this is a Dobinsons thread, I'll just briefly mention the Whiteline section of our website:
http://www.185performance.com/cgi-bin/185p/whiteline.html

And here are the Supra pages from the SuperPro polyurethane catalog:
http://www.185performance.com/superpro/superpro-supra.pdf

Now, Dobinsons Springs. Dobinsons has been around for a long time (1953), and they're not too well known in the USA yet. We started importing their springs because their catalog covers most every car we're interested in! (All the way back to the TA20 Celica.)

Dobinsons coil springs, on average, are 25% stiffer than stock, and come in stock height and lowered versions. The lowering springs will drop your car between 20-30mm (depending how much your car has sagged due to age). Some are linear rate, some are progressive rate (the part number for progressive rate springs end in a "V").

The Dobinsons coil spring catalog is here:
http://www.185performance.com/dobinsons/Coil_Spring_Catalogue.pdf

Just go to www.185performance.com and plug the part number into the search box (for Dobinsons, Whiteline, SuperPro, etc.), and you'll get a price. As someone mentioned above, since we are in the USA, everything is shown in US Dollars.

We place orders Dobinsons parts once a week (Monday).

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Josh

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Josh - progressive springs?

Hi, Josh,

What's the main difference between the progressive and standard springs?
Will the progressive give you better performance over poor pavement (I live in New Mexico) but still not make you lose the ice out of your drink in the corners?

I tried to plug in the part number but I didn't get any hits...

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Welcome Josh, I have Dobi springs on my car. Are Dobinsons springs related? Just wondering...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Josh - progressive springs?

> What's the main difference between the progressive and standard springs?

A linear rate spring has the same stiffness throughout its compression. A progressive one is wound in such a way that as it gets compressed more, the spring rate (stiffening) goes up. This is a good compromise for the cornering demons out there who want a really stiff spring but need a softer suspension during regular street driving.

> Will the progressive give you better performance over poor pavement (I live in New Mexico) but still not make you lose the ice out of your drink in the corners?

See above.

> I tried to plug in the part number but I didn't get any hits...

What part number?

Josh

·
Registered
11 Posts
> Welcome Josh

Thank you.

> I have Dobi springs on my car. Are Dobinsons springs related? Just wondering...

I honestly have no idea. I've never heard anyone refer to "Dobinsons" as "Dobi", so I have to assume they are different companies. Do you have a web address for Dobi?

Josh

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Dobi is not related to Dobinson. Dobi is a company that offered performance parts for that era car way back when.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Right Razor... dobi is no more. They were located in Brea, CA but closed up around '97 or so when the rice hit the fan. They sold some really cool stuff for old Toyotas, RX-7s, Zs, and a few other specialty vehicles.

Dobinson springs are the real deal and so is Josh/185 Perf. I recently helped a bud install Dobinsons springs and a slew of other suspension goodies acquired from Josh onto an MX70 Cressida. We chose a not-so-common type setup and it turned out awesome... in fact I'm sorry I sold the car. Well, actually, it just makes me want a Cressida wagon even more :]

Also, I believe that the Whiteline springs for our app are actually rebadged Dobinsons, but I'll let Josh elaborate or correct me on this.

Regards,

Jimi B

·
Registered
11 Posts
> Dobinson springs are the real deal and so is Josh/185 Perf.

Ahh -- too kind. Thank you.

> Also, I believe that the Whiteline springs for our app are actually rebadged Dobinsons, but I'll let Josh elaborate or correct me on this.

Actually, Whiteline has its own springs -- they are not rebadged Dobinsons.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Supra GTR said:
Dobi is not related to Dobinson. Dobi is a company that offered performance parts for that era car way back when.
Watch that way back when stuff... :mad: When I lived in LA I had a lot of dealings with those guys and they were always very nice and professional. Josh, do you guys offer bushing kits for our cars?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spring Rates

I asked Dobinsons for the spring rates on all of these sets. Here you go, guys...

C59-054V unsure about initial rate, progressing up to 35.6 N/mm (progressive rate, due to the "V")
C59-054 35.6 N/mm
C59-056 35.6 N/mm
C59-101 38.07 N/mm
C59-103 40.83 N/mm
C59-068 28.23 N/mm
C59-070 28.29 N/mm
C59-059 40.63 N/mm
C59-061 40.63 N/mm

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Spring Rates

Tartan said:
I asked Dobinsons for the spring rates on all of these sets. Here you go, guys...

C59-054V unsure about initial rate, progressing up to 35.6 N/mm (progressive rate, due to the "V")
C59-054 35.6 N/mm
C59-056 35.6 N/mm
C59-101 38.07 N/mm
C59-103 40.83 N/mm
C59-068 28.23 N/mm
C59-070 28.29 N/mm
C59-059 40.63 N/mm
C59-061 40.63 N/mm
Hi Josh and Welcome.

It is great to know that we have alternatives when it comes to suspension components for our cars.

With regards to the above spring rates:
Do those numbers mean that the rates for the rears are stiffer than the fronts?
Are the front spring rates for the MA61 (C59-068/070) softer than the front spring rates for the RA60 (C59-054/056)?

Best Regards,
Carlos

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Spring Rates

> Do those numbers mean that the rates for the rears are stiffer than the fronts?

In almost every case, yes. In determining a spring rate for a given vehicle, one must consider where on the control arm (length from inner joint) the spring is mounted, and the angle of inclination (normally, the spring leans in). The necessary spring rate is then dependent on these numbers. Let's say you wanted a spring rate of "x" for a given corner; the angle of inclination and the position on the control arm may ultimately dictate a rate of x * 1.4.

> Are the front spring rates for the MA61 (C59-068/070) softer than the front spring rates for the RA60 (C59-054/056)?

It would appear so.

If someone has cars with stock [non-sagging] springs that can be measured, I'll go through all the math to help explain the chosen spring rates.

And sorry for the delay on this reply -- I was at Pikes Peak for the race.

Cheers,
Josh

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Josh,

Thank you for clearing those questions up for me.

I may give you a call about some springs for my Supra.

Were you racing up Pikes Peak? Hope you did well.

Regards,
Carlos

·
Registered
11 Posts
> Thank you for clearing those questions up for me.

You're welcome.

> Were you racing up Pikes Peak? Hope you did well.

I wish. I just spectated, hung out with my coilover supplier, DMS (www.dmsamericas.com), and complained about there being no Toyotas racing. One of these years I'll have to build up my st165 for the race. :)

Josh

1 - 20 of 65 Posts