Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1982 P-Type 5 spd. Blue
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for the past year for new or reman'd front brake calipers but no one online seems to have any in stock. Tried all the major online retailers and even local parts stores. One site says they may have some in December of this year. Anyone have any luck finding them recently?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Looks pretty easy in the TSRM, so I guess I'll be learning how to rebuild my front calipers when the stuff from Rock Auto gets here!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I'm pretty sure the piston is 57mm.... im currently waiting for parts to rebuild mine too.

Not sure if I should pay $100 each for pistons though...
Thanks. 57mm sounds small to me, but then I haven't had one of these apart, yet. Got all my seals, pins & boots, hardware, and other stuff. I'd prefer to use a "Ball Hone" or "Flex Hone" over a rigid stone hone, as I've always had really good results with them. I think AutoZone and O'Reily's both have brake hones, so I'll grab one while I'm out this weekend.

oops...N/M...just had a brain fade. 57MM is a tad over 2", so that sounds better.....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks. 57mm sounds small to me, but then I haven't had one of these apart, yet. Got all my seals, pins & boots, hardware, and other stuff. I'd prefer to use a "Ball Hone" or "Flex Hone" over a rigid stone hone, as I've always had really good results with them. I think AutoZone and O'Reily's both have brake hones, so I'll grab one while I'm out this weekend.

oops...N/M...just had a brain fade. 57MM is a tad over 2", so that sounds better.....
yeah the TSRM is hard to find info sometimes... i guess to double check you could measure the new seals for a rough estimate...

Is honing even really necessary? I wasn't intending to bother with mine...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
yeah the TSRM is hard to find info sometimes... i guess to double check you could measure the new seals for a rough estimate...

Is honing even really necessary? I wasn't intending to bother with mine...
Yeah, I thought about that.

That's an excellent question. It's just "one of those things" I learned years ago. If they're not pitted, scratched, or scored you probably don't need to. Same with the pistons. I've seen people use ScotchBrite to clean them with, mostly to get the crud off and see if the pistons were pitted. Not sure how closely this relates to using a hone to "break the glaze" in an engine so new rings will seat faster, but I'm not a disc brake caliper expert!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts