Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current date Nov 6th 2009

As of this date, what I have found out:

The Current ball joints that seem to fit well (dont rattle have to be pressed in) are:

Moog k9085 or MOK9085
Beck Arnley 101-4140
Supreme / Mevotech mk9085

with regards too the mevotech i just fit this one its really Tight!!!!! had to freeze the joint and Heat up the control arm plus press it in i havent measured it but it seems IDENTICAL in every way too the toyota originals, i think its a hair bigger than the moog for fit.

Also Mevotech cross references their part numbers so other numbers that might fit are below but im not sure who manufactures them... Ill just put what is on the mevotech box below some is repetivie

alt#
Spi 505-1092
MQ FA1273
Ref K9085 -> Moog's Part Numer

Hope this helps people out, im in canada and now their are no more factory lower control arms so ball joints only is the only thing we can do...

Please Sticky This Thread

Coop

·
Registered
401 Posts
STICKY please

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mark, that link is not very definitive is it?
Only one part number by you and it's questionable that it even fits per your write up....
RC51 at least has PN and some cross ref.

On this thread I also found these

http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=5981&highlight=stumped+ball+joints&page=2

McQuay-Norris parts # FA1273. $38.99 each

Part# 48069-29065 lh conrtol arm w/bushing and ball joint list 166.00 cost
Part# 48068-29065 rh control arm w/bushing and ball joint list 166.00 cost

Measurements per Racefiend-later in the thread he stated these did not fit that well and were loose

Lower control arm hole: 1.7395-1.7400

Dana/Perfect circle BJ: 1.7440

TRW BJ: 1.7385 (I measured the larger of the two)

Original Toyota BJ: 1.7470

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Yeah you're missing my meaning of the info I posted Brian. I got ball joints from two different manufacturers (K9085 is a US aftermarket industry standard number for our ball joints) and got two different joints each time. What I was trying to point out was what the CORRECT size ball joint LOOKED like. If you look closely at the pictures you can see an obvious difference in the two joints. If you get a pair of ball joints that are the black colored ones with the slip fit boots...they won't fit. The OE style ones (the second ones pictured with wire type boot retainers, and the correct retaining circlip) are the only ones I've been able to confirm fit properly. I installed the two correct looking K9085 ball joints...they miked out the same as the ones I removed...and returned the black colored ones defective (boxed wrong). Hope that clarification helps bro. This is a problem with some ball joint manufacturer somewhere...pretty much all the ball joints come from one or two plants worldwide and are boxed separately from bulk shipments. I'd guess that someone shipped the wrong stuff stateside at some point in time (before boxing) which is causing the problem.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The Current ball joints that seem to fit well (dont rattle have to be pressed in) are:

Moog k9085 or MOK9085
Beck Arnley 101-4140
Supreme / Mevotech mk9085
is this to say that they DO NOT need to pressed or DO? Also, i would be interested in a how to on ball joint replacement on the parts you have here. with that id say we can close the book on ball joint issues.

eh-em...seems i think i found the how to. http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=34169

·
Registered
401 Posts
gotchya Mark.

·
Registered
459 Posts
is this to say that they DO NOT need to pressed or DO? Also, i would be interested in a how to on ball joint replacement on the parts you have here. with that id say we can close the book on ball joint issues.

eh-em...seems i think i found the how to. http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=34169
the moog bj's do NOT have to be pressed in, er, on average. what i mean is when i installed these parts, the passenger side droped in and fit loose. i put 2 tack welds to secure it in place. the driver side oddly enough was tight fitting. i put it on the press to set it in but it really didnt need much pressure to go in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts